When you need dinner in a hurry, pasta is one of the easiest things to make and it's something the kids like to eat too - so everyone's happy. With the right ingredients on hand, dinner's just a pot of boiling water away.
Here are some tips on how to be "Fasta Pasta"-ready:
- Stock your pantry with different kinds of dried pastas.
- A jar of plain tomato puree is always great to have on hand. You can make a quick sauce by frying some garlic and onion, then adding the tomato puree, salt, pepper, and fresh basil to taste.
- Leftover meat, beans or even potatoes from last night's dinner can be added to your sauce to really make your dish extra hearty.
- Always have at least one vegetable in your fridge that you can add to your pasta dish. Try broccoli, cauliflower or peas. Steam your vegetables briefly, then add them to your sauce right before serving.
- Always keep a block of Parmesan in your fridge -- it can last a long time if you wrap it tightly. It's delicious freshly grated or cut into shards and sprinkled on a plate of pasta. Stefano refers to it as the king of cheeses!
Give one of Stefano's "Fasta Pasta" recipes a try tonight:
Cherry Tomato and Feta Penne
Farfalle with Cauliflower and Herb Pesto
Asparagus and Shrimp Linguine
Pasta al Burro