Question: January 2012 Archives
Wednesday January 25, 2012
You would expect a clock to run slowest as far as possible from the earth's centre of gravity. That would be on Mounty Chimborazo in Equador.
Wednesday January 18, 2012
If the earth were a perfect sphere, it would be completely covered by the ocean. From 50 m to 25000 m, how deep would that ocean be?
With the land in place, the average depth of the ocean is 4000 metres. If the land were all levelled and the earth were smooth like a billiard ball, the average depth would be 2400 metres.
Wednesday January 11, 2012
There is less snow under the tree to begin with because the truck causes the wind to swirl around, which blows the snow away. Also, the treeabsorbs energy and reflects sunlight back to the ground.
- January 2013
- December 2012
- Wed., 12 – Where do butterflies go when it rains?
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- Wed., 25 – Can you get sunburn through ordinary glass?
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- Wed., 18 – When you take a cake out of the oven, the air inside the oven doesn't burn you, and touching the top of the cake doesn't burn you but touching the metal pan does. If they're all at the same temperature, why is there a difference?
- Wed., 11 – In large lakes, you see can see the water oscillate from side to side. What causes these seiches?
- Wed., 4 – When you pour some liquids such as oil or honey from a distance onto a plate, the stream will start to circle onto the plate. Why does that happen?
- March 2012
- Wed., 28 – When you pump up a bike tire with a bicycle pump, the valve will heat up. Why is that? (If it because of the air passing through the valve, why doesn't the valve heat up when you fill your car tire at the gas station?)
- Wed., 21 – When an orchestra warms up, the pitch of the wind instruments increases and the pitch of the strings instruments decreases. Why is that?
- Wed., 7 – If you place a block of wood in a glass of water, and put that glass in an elevator, will the block float higher in the water as the elevator descends?
- February 2012
- Wed., 29 – The moon experiences the gravitational pull from the earth and the sun, but the sun's pull is twice as powerful as the the earth's. Why then, doesn't the moon get pulled out of our orbit?
- Wed., 22 – When lightening hits a tree, sometimes it scars it, sometimes it blows the bark off and sometimes it blows it up. What accound for those varying effects?
- Wed., 1 – Why does skin dry out in the winter?
- January 2012