How cranberries became a Christmas tradition
Evelyn Ernst and her husband David own Terra Beata Cranberry Farm on Heckman's Island, Lunenburg County.
And here's Evelyn's recipe for Cranberry Fruit leather:
1. Make cranberry pulp by cooking 8 cups of cranberries in 2 cups of water until berry skins pop. Cool, and put through blender or food processor to chop up skins.
2. Make your favourite flavour:
Plain Cranberry - 4 cups pulp plus 1 cup sugar
Cranberry raspberry - 2 cups pulp plus 1 cup thawed frozen raspberries and ¾ cup sugar
Cranberry Blueberry - 2 cups pulp plus 2 cups thawed frozen blueberries and ¾ cup sugar
Cranberry Apple - 2 cups pulp plus 1 cup apple sauce and ½ cup sugar
Pink Banana - 2 cups pulp plus 1 mashed banana and ½ cup sugar
3. Line dehydrator trays with plastic (new flat freezer bags or sandwich bags work well), and spread 1 ½ cups of mixture on each tray.
4. Dry overnight (drying time will vary with type of dehydrator and amount of fruit in it, so check every few hours the first time you try this).
5. Peel leather off plastic, and cut into strips or use cookie cutters to make fun shapes
To see more cranberry recipes, check out their website.