Jeff Wall's striking large-scale, photographic artworks exude complex, dramatic power. Often presented as transparencies in light-boxes, his works are owned by most significant art institutions and collectors. Vancouver-based Wall has been instrumental in moving the photographic image to a central place in contemporary art practice. His contributions have secured him a place in art history. In The Crooked Path, curator Ann Pollock explores with Wall his remarkable career trajectory.
Participants in the series
- ArtistAnn Pollock
- Art Curator, Writer, Independent BroadcasterHans De Wolf
- Editor of The Crooked Path
published by BOZAR Books, Ludion, BrusselsJöel Benzakin
- Independent Curator for The Crooked Path exhibition, Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels (aka BOZAR)Sarah Milroy
- Writer and Art Critic, former editor of Canadian Art Magazine, contributor to The Globe and Mail newspaperClaudia Beck
- collector, owner (until 1981) of the Nova Gallery, a commercial photography gallery in VancouverAndrew Gruft
- collector, architect, owner (until 1981) of the Nova Gallery, a commercial photography gallery in VancouverThe Art of Jeff Wall1. The Crooked Path, 1991, transparency in lightbox, 119 x 149 cm. Courtesy of the artist.
2. The Destroyed Room, 1978, transparency in lightbox, 159 x 229 cm. Courtesy of the artist.
3. Picture for Women, 1979, transparency in lightbox, 142.5 x 204.5 cm. Courtesy of the artist.4. Installation view of transparencies in lightboxes by Jeff Wall
5. Boy falls from tree, 2010, colour photograph, 305.3 x 226 cm. Courtesy of the artist.
6. After 'Spring Snow', by Yukio Mishima, chapter 34, 2000-2005, colour photograph, 63 x 74 cm. Courtesy of the artist.
7. Boxing, 2011, colour photograph, 215 x 295 cm. Courtesy of the artist.
8. The Storyteller, 1986, transparency in lightbox, 229 x 437 cm. Courtesy of the artist.9. Dead Troops Talk (a vision after an ambush of a Red Army patrol, near Moqor, Afghanistan, winter 1986), 1992, transparency in lightbox, 229 x 417 cm. Courtesy of the artist.
10. Band & crowd, 2011, colour photograph, 229 x 420 cm. Courtesy of the artist.
11. The Flooded Grave, 1998 - 2000, transparency in lightbox, 228.6 x 282 cm. Courtesy of the artist.
Related WebsitesRobert Frank: The AmericansLas Meninas
by Diego Velázquez
, 1656, oil on canvas, collection Prado, MadridThe Death of Sardanapalus
by Eugène Delacroix
, 1827, oil on canvas, collection Louvre, ParisA Bar at the Folies Bergère
by Edouard Manet
, 1881-2, oil on canvas, collection The Courtauld Gallery, LondonYukio Mishima
, Japanese poet and writerLe déjeuner sur l'herbe
[Luncheon on the Grass] by Edouard Manet
, 1863, oil on canvas, collection Musée d'Orsay, ParisReading ListJeff Wall, The Crooked Path
, Ed. by Hans de Wolf
, hardback, 255 pages, English.
Published 2011 by BOZAR BOOKS, Ludion.Jeff Wall: The Complete Edition
, hardback and paperback, 212 pages, English.
Survey by Thierry de Duve
, Update by Jean-François Chevrier
, Interview by Arielle Pelenc
, Focus by Boris Groys
, Artist's Choice by Blaise Pascal
and Franz Kafka
, Writings by Jeff Wall
. Published 2010 by Phaidon. Jeff Wall
by Craig Burnett
, paperback, 128 pages, English. Published 2006 by Tate Gallery (first published 2005).Jeff Wall, Visibility
, paperback, 248 pages, Hebrew/English. Published 2013 by Tel Aviv Museum of Art.