host picture

| Bookmark and Share

York U Student Paper Targeted by Protesters

York University's student newspaper was the subject of a demonstration Wednesday. Jane Finch Action Against Poverty organized the rally near the Excalibur's office. They're angry at what they say is a campaign by the paper to blame their neighborhood for some of the violent attacks and sexual assaults that have plagued the campus. One editorial in particular says Jane-Finch has one of the highest crime rates in the country. And points out that it's right next door to the York campus. Joining Laura with more on what's angering the community was one of the rally organizers, and former York student, Ama Amponsah. Listen audio (runs 5:16)

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Submission Policy

Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are moderated and published according to our submission guidelines.