E.coli in walnuts
Earlier this week, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency told people to avoid certain bulk and packaged raw-shelled walnuts because of concerns over E.coli. Today, it was confirmed that one person in Quebec died of an E.coli infection after possibly eating contaminated walnuts. Thirteen others are sick with the illness in Quebec, New Brunswick and Ontario -- all linked to walnuts from a Quebec-based distributor. But so far, the company says none of its walnuts has tested positive.
For his insight, we reached Keith Warriner, a Food Microbiologist at the University of Guelph.
Listen (runs 5:18)
See the list of foods causing concerns at www.inspection.gc.ca