So here we are, taking our first break this Sunday (October 9) from broadcasting a new episode of Heartland.
As I explained on the Facebook Page yesterday, "Hockey Night in Canada" is going to broadcast the first home game of the new Winnipeg Jets - a clash with the Montreal Canadiens - on Sunday, October 9 across the entire CBC Network, and although in the Pacific and Mountain Time zones the game may be over by 7:00pm, new episodes of Heartland are never broadcast unless all of Canada can watch them at 7:00pm (7:30pm in Newfoundland!) on a Sunday evening.
In a way the producers and everyone involved with Heartland are not that concerned with there being no new episode in three days, because that is also the Sunday before Thanksgiving in Canada, and a new episode has aired every Thanksgiving Sunday for the first 4 seasons, and the viewing audience was WAY down from the numbers the regular episodes received. So in some ways it's a good thing!
Now, instead of a new episode, viewers in BC (and possibly in Alberta) will get to watch a rerun of episode 305 - Glory Days.Those great photos of Amy and Jack in this post are from that episode.
Why Glory Days you ask? A good question. Is there something in that episode that is a foreshadowing of something still ahead in Season 5? Another good question, to which my answer is... maybe... ! (Heh heh) Read on...
Now, I know some of you will be disappointed at there being no new episode of Heartland this Sunday, but the good news is that starting October 16 there will be a new episode each Sunday for three (3 - count 'em) full weeks. And at the end of October we will be one-third of the way through Season 5, with 6 of the 18 new episodes having aired. How time flies when you're having fun.
Think about it this way: if you subtract the 18 Sundays when a new Heartland episode airs from the 52 weeks of the year and that gives you 34 Sundays each year when there is NO new episode of Heartland. Because of this, the CBC tries to make sure that new episodes only play when most of Heartland's fans in Canada are around to watch them, so in the future - as in the past - there will be reruns when something else of significance is taking place, such as the Grey Cup or the Super Bowl.
I'll try to give you plenty of notice so you will know when a new episode is airing, and of course, I'll always explain why when one isn't!
If you do miss a new episode, it is always up on the "Episodes" page on the following Monday, for Canadians to watch the episode online.
There have been the odd glitches with the player recently (for every CBC show, not just us!) but these problems are being fixed.
Now, I want to give all of you a little heads up regarding 3 Heartland appearances that'll take place in the next little while across the country:
1) At The Mane Event - the Equine Education and Trade fair in Chilliwack, BC, Jessica Amlee (Mallory) and Kerry James (Caleb) will be meeting and greeting Heartland fans on Saturday, October 22. Full details will be posted here next week and updated info will be added soon to the organization's web page, but you can read about the Mane Event here - http://www.maneeventexpo.com/Chilliwack/Default.aspx.
2) The Centre Ice Challenge - a fun, fund-raising hockey game featuring the Heartland Mustangs - will take place a little earlier this year (October 29) and has been moved to Okotoks instead of Calgary. There will be lots going on besides the hockey game, so if you're in the Calgary area, consider coming out. Full details can be found here - centreicechallenge.com
3) At Toronto's Royal Winter Fair - the largest equine event of the year in Eastern Canada - Heartland's Amy Fleming - Amber Marshall, in case you didn't know ;) - will be co-hosting the Rodeo on the first Sunday (November 6). Full details will be forthcoming, but in the meantime, if you're in the Toronto area, here's info on the Royal - royalfair.org
Season 4 / A Heartland Christmas out on DVD!!!
Yes, the release date for Season 4's boxed set of Heartland episodes on DVD has been moved up to November 1 of this year. On the same day the good folks at E1 Entertainment will be releasing the 2-hour Christmas Holiday Movie - "A Heartland Christmas" as a separate release. Watch for them! And maybe a contest!
And now, a Few Questions
With no new episode to go into detail about, I'm going to answer a few of your questions that were posted as comments last week.
leanna asks, Hey I was wondering the baby that they have as Lou and Peter's baby - is that actually Mara- Michelle Morgan's baby?
No. To play babies or toddlers you need twins, to swap the children so they are not overworked while filming. The babies are not Michelle's, and they are also not Gabriel Hogan's, who plays Peter, even though a lot of you apparently see a resemblance!
* Susanna wrote, I was just wondering when do the members of the cast celebrate their birthdays? Thank you!
Susanna - I do inform fans when there are cast appearances (see above) and I do tell you a few things about the cast members - mostly repeating things that they themselves have put up on their own websites or Facebook pages, but I don't as a rule reveal personal information about the cast. If you find out from other sources, great! But I try to allow the actors' personal lives to remain as private as they wish.
* Theo Reed wrote, I live in Georgia and love your show and have visited Calgary and Canada several times. I know you started Season 5 on Sept 18th. However, here we are still getting reruns, like last Sunday was "Starstruck"........do you have any information when Season 5 will begin here? Thanks.
Unfortunately for those of you in the United States who are impatient, America only started receiving Heartland in 2010, when the first 22 episodes were aired. Right now the next 23 episodes are beginning to be broadcast and next year an additional 22 episodes will be shown. That will get your country caught up to the end of Season 4. Only then can Season 5 begin to be shown.
For full details on which episodes are airing in the U.S., and on what channels, go to theheartlandranch.com
* fish wrote, Will there be a season 6 of heartland ?
Ah, every year I get asked if more seasons will be added, and this early in the season it's too early to tell. Everyone in production and at the CBC wants to see a 6th season, but that decision will not be made until after everyone making the decision sees how many people are watching Season 5. If a lot of viewers catch Heartland - as they have for the past 4 seasons - then expect a Season 6. All Heartland fans can do their part by watching, and making sure they turn their friends who would like the series onto watching Heartland on Sunday evenings. :)
* anne wrote, Are Ashley and Caleb going to be in this season?????
That's been asked a lot, as well as whether or not Badger, Blair, Chase, Ben and Nick are coming back.
I know a lot of times online I drop hints here, on the Heartland on CBC Facebook page and (especially) on Twitter, but some things I have to stay firm and just reply with - "Sorry, Anne - and others asking - you're just going to have to wait and watch and find out for yourself!"
That being said, the above info that Kerry (Caleb) is going to be making a Heartland appearance in Chilliwack should give you a bit of a clue... no?
* Jo asks, I'm sure I'm missing something that other people seem to know, but why did they chose the name Catherine??
There have been a lot of comments - the vast majority favourable - about Catherine being chosen as the name for Lou and Peter's baby. I personally find it odd that when you look at this family with traditional names such as Jack, Amy, Louise, Peter and Tim, some were expecting an exotic or one-of-a-kind baby name. You know the name had to be true to the Bartlett/Fleming tradition, and Catherine had a nice ring to it, as far as the judges were concerned. The baby will be called Katie as a nickname, but I'm sure when she is being reprimanded you will hear her full first name. :)
So that's all for this week - a lot considering we have no new episode, but this time next week I'll be posting information about the next new episode from Season 5, Episode 504 - Beyond Hell's Half Mile - which I'm sure some of you will know what that is referring to.
Until next week,
The intrepid Blog Whisperer