Have you noticed the days are starting to lose a wee bit of daylight? Well I haven't, but they are... really! Oh, unless you live in the southern hemisphere... which I know some of you do! But now at least (and at last!) it is Summer in the land of Heartland! YES! Time to do all the lazy, hazy, crazy things that one does in Summer!
BUT... someone needs to tell whoever arranges the weather in Alberta to stop picking on Heartland! On Tuesday the cast and crew were filming some great outdoor scenes with horses when the blue sky vanished and clouds rolled in. Soon there was thunder and lightning and then filming had to be delayed for over 40 minutes when the clouds opened up and an intense hailstorm pelted the countryside. Now I ask you - is this any way to treat a nice television series? Click though to the Heartland Blog to read LOTS more!
Fortunately the skies cleared up again and all the scenes that needed to be filmed were indeed - as always - captured. Only three more days to go until episodes 403 and 404 will have been shot, and then production will begin on episodes 405 and 406.
Next week I'll let you know a little more about the two new episodes that are about to begin production, but one thing I WILL reveal to you right now: if you recall, in season 3 a wolf and a terrifying cougar were introduced into the series. Well, episode 405 is going to once again let Heartland fans see an animal that has never before appeared on any previous episode! The only clues I have been given is that the animal 1) is a mammal, 2) has four legs, 3) is not native to Africa and 4) will have you all going "Awwwww!" Hmmmmmm - I guess that means it can't be a snake or an elephant.
Well, we'll have to wait and see, won't we? Speaking of waiting, it's countdown time, as we inch closer to the September 26 premiere of episode 401. So breaking out the numbers, this means there are now 13 Thursdays to go, or 94 more sleeps. Of course this is based on the assumption that there is one sleep every 24 hours. Don't think that by napping twice a day you can speed up the process ;)
But now I guess I should answer some of the questions that have been posted in the comments over the past week, but before I do I want to point out the never-before-seen photo at the top of today's entry. It was taken in 2008 and shows a smiling Caleb and Amy with Spartan on the ranch set. Back then we were unsure which way Amy was going to go - Ty or Caleb. As we all now know, Ty won out and Caleb didn't exactly suffer a terrible fate, as he's now with Ashley. But if Amy had wound up with Caleb you would have seen this photo much earlier.
It's ironic that although it is indeed rare that the characters on Heartland wear formal clothes, everyone decided that the series was better off with a Ty (Get it? Tie... Ty?) Okay, sorry about that. ANYWAY...
1) Jenna asks, You know the commercial for Heartland that they filmed in Calgary with people in public? You said it would be out in January but I havn't seen it yet.
Well, it did play in January and February on the CBC, but I guess I will have to get it up on the cbcheartland channel on Youtube. Watch for it!
2) Ashley asks, is there a date for when the christmas movie will air? thx.
There will be Ashley, and it will be a Sunday in December. If I were to take a guess I think it will be December 12 or December 19, but nothing is set in stone yet, as they say. I don't know if I've ever written this before, but when I know - you'll know!!!
3) Thanks to Val for updating the German fans on when VOX will be broadcasting the free premiere of the series.
4) Orlaa writes, Is there anywhere you I could get a autograhed photo of Kerry James or any of the Heartland cast? I live in Ireland! And Kerry James is like my favourite ever actor! Id love a picture of him:)
Well Orlaa, if you send a letter to Kerry and address it to Heartland (click on "BLOG" and then click on "Fan Mail" under Categories to find the mailing address) I am told he will get it and he is pretty good about answering personal mail. Just make sure that when you address your envelope you clearly mark HEARTLAND on it!
5) The_Heartland_Fan writes, My horse, companion, and best friend passed away from colic yesterday... Rest In Peace, Starlight. You were the best horse that any girl could wish for xx
I'm so sorry. It's really sad when our closest animal friends pass away. Although it's part of life, it's difficult, as the bond we have with our horses (not to mention our dogs, cats and all the other animals we love) can be incredibly strong. I'm sure I speak for everyone here on the blog that our thoughts are with you during this sad time.
6) Teri asks, I was just wondering, when will the video clip and info about the season premier be coming up?
Not for a while Teri. Probably in September. As always, when I know - you'll know!
7) Luli asks, BW: do you actually know spanish or you use a translator?????
The answer is yes... I mean si!
8) Australia has been the source of a few questions. It makes sense, for that country is halfway through showing Season 3 to fans down under. To give you some answers, please don't expect Season 4 to air before 2011 - It's only starting to air in Canada on September 26. And I'll find out if there is a distributor for DVDs in Australia and I'll let you know.
9) Nikki asks, I know that heartland is coming out in the US this fall but why can't people in the US watch heartland here online, I have watched all the episodes on youtube, but I am thinking they would be a lot better quality on here and a person can never watch heartland to many times so I was just wonder why that is?
Nikki, most people love the "show" part of Show Business, but it is indeed a business. If you fans in the United States could all watch Heartland online then it would be much more difficult to sell the series to American stations so people could see it every week (in high quality) on TV. The TV stations sell commercials to help pay their bills and the more viewers they have the more they can charge for those ads. They figure that if a lot of people have already seen a show online then less will watch it on their television sets (whether that's true or not), so unfortunately the online viewing is for Canadians only, and these episodes do not go up until after Heartland has aired in Canada on Sunday nights. Also, just so you know, we here in Canada can't watch U.S. shows online (or shows from the UK either, for that matter). I for one, would LOVE to have Hulu (for example), but it doesn't work outside of the States.
Now a bit of good news - Heartland has been sold in nearly 90% of all US markets so far and will be airing beginning the week of September 18, 2010. The series will start from the very beginning and as soon as all stations, dates and times are confirmed I will post something up on this site with that information.
10) Melissa asks, Blog Whisperer is there any chance of seeing more bloopers from the past episodes? I got a great laugh out of the one with Amber and Graham.
Let me see what else is out there and I think we might be able to dig up something for you to watch!
11) Expanding on the answers that Sarah and The_Heartland_Fan provided to major_wizard's question about the song Amy and Taylor sing in Episode 302 (And thanks for doing that!)...
"I Ride an Old Paint" is a decades-old traditional folk song. It was made popular by one of the forefathers of folk songs, Cisco Houston, who used to sing backup to one of folk music's great pioneers, Woody Guthrie. Both Houston and Guthrie recorded the song, which has a ton of versions. The lyrics sung in Heartland are contained in the version Houston recorded in the 1950s and available on the CD "Cisco Houston: The Folkways years 1944 - 1961".
12) Candace writes, just curious when Season 3 will be in stores?? thanks! =) =) So very excited to Season 4 as well!!!
Well, don't expect Season 3 DVDs to be in stores before 2011, and Season 4? Not before 2012...
13) Next week expect a new Q&A. I'm not telling you who it is, but his name rhymes with "Math Pan Eel Ark Canned!"
And finally, thanks to all of you who write in with nice things to say about Heartland. The producers, cast and writers read your comments and your compliments register very strongly with everyone who works on the series. They'll continue to provide you with stories that entertain you and your whole family. Unless you are a first time visitor to this site you'll know that 18 spanking new episodes are in production and beginning on September 26 they'll begin to air in Canada on the CBC at 7:00pm Sunday nights!
That's still 13 Thursdays or 94 more days to go, but with every passing Thursday blog both these numbers will get smaller as our countdown continues.
Tick... tick... tick...