Hamilton's fire crews responded to three house fires in less than an hour Monday, including one that injured a firefighter.
“It's been a busy day,” said Claudio Mostacci, public information officer with the Hamilton Fire Department.
Units rushed to 63 West 4th St. at 11:10 a.m., where a fire had started in the basement.Fire crews work at 87 Murray St. E. (Samantha Craggs/CBC)
Twenty minutes later, they were called to 87 Murray St. E., where fire destroyed a two-storey family home. A firefighter suffered burns and was treated and released from hospital, Mostacci said.
At 11:50 a.m. they received another call, this time to 392 MacNab St. N. where a pot on a stove caused a fire.
The Murray Street East fire caused the greatest damage. The family of four that lived there and their visitors had already escaped when crews arrived.
The fire was the result of careless smoking, the fire department said in a media release late Monday. It caused about $125,000 in damage.
Neighbour Peter Pasilic said he was getting ready for work when the home's occupants banged on his door. By the time he answered, they'd run to the next house.
“The flames were shooting right out of the front door and the bay window a good 10 to 15 feet,” he said. “It's unbelievable what fire can do, and how fast.”
The fire on West 4th Street caused an estimated $90,000 in damage, and the cause was likely electrical, the fire department said. The Office of the Ontario Fire Marshal is helping with the investigation.
The MacNab Street fire caused about $500 in damages.