Mar 7, 2013
Flavorful toasted almonds and zesty lemon-pepper contrast nicely with crisp bell pepper pieces in this festive appetizer.
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper seasoning blend
- Cut each bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard the stems, ribs, and seeds. Cut each half into six pieces. Arrange the pieces with the skin side down on a decorative serving platter. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, dry-roast the almonds over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the almonds to a small plate and reserve for garnishing. Process the remaining almonds in a food processor or blender for 15 to 20 seconds, or until finely ground.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, lemon pepper seasoning blend, and lemon juice with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes, or until creamy. Add the ground almonds and beat for 10 seconds, or until combined.
Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a wide star or round tip. Or snip the corner off a re-sealable plastic bag (a plastic freezer bag works well) and spoon in the mixture. Pipe about 1 teaspoon of the mixture onto each bell pepper piece. Garnish with the sliced almonds.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2006 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at americanheart.org/cookbooks.