Jan 29, 2013
Who could resist these red velvet cupcakes with luscious cream cheese frosting? Mine are slightly different from other versions, as I prefer to use sour cream and chocolate rather than buttermilk and cocoa and much less red food coloring. I also add cranberries -- but if you prefer you can leave these out.
Appropriate for ages: From 2 years
- 1/2- 4 ounce bar good quality semi-sweet chocolate, 1/4 cup chips
- 1/2 stick softened butter, 1/4 cup
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 heaping tablespoons dried cranberries, tossed in a little self-risingflour to coat
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 sticks (1 cup) softened butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, in brick form, not whipped
- 4 cups sieved confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line the cups of a muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of just simmering water, stirring occasionally. Put the remaining ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer and mix together until just combined, then add the melted chocolate.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, scrape the vanilla seeds from the beans into a bowl, then add the butter and cream cheese. Beat well, then gradually add the confectioners' sugar 1/4 cup at a time until the icing is smooth.
Once the cakes are cool, pipe the frosting on top of the cakes using a large star tip.
Note: Red Velvet Cupcakes, rich sweet cakes with a reddish brown color commonly made with buttermilk, were popular in the Southern USA states. However, a recent increase in the popularity of these cakes is partly attributed to the 1989 film Steel Magnolias, in which the groom's cake is a red velvet cake made in the shape of an armadillo. The famous Magnolia bakery in New York City makes a delicious version of these cupcakes.