Sep 26, 2012
The kick of fajitas with the crunch of a taco combine in these tostadas. At $1.50 per serving, they're also a tasty bargain. Use pre-made tostada shells and pre-cooked chicken to make prep and clean-up easy.
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Cost Per Serving: $1.50
8 tostada shells
2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
1 cup refried beans
1 medium green pepper - thinly sliced
1 medium onion - thinly sliced
1 packet (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup water
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Shredded lettuce, diced tomato, salsa, sour cream and guacamole for garnish -- optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine taco seasoning, water and lime juice and stir well.
- Pour half of the taco seasoning mixture over the shredded chicken and the other half over the pepper and onion.
- Cook chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the sauce starts to thicken slightly -- 2-3 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm. Add peppers and onions and cook until the sauce starts to thicken and veggies start to wilt -- about 3-4 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- Lay tostada shells on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Top each shell with 2 tablespoons refried beans, 1/4 cup shredded chicken, peppers and onions and cheddar cheese to taste.
- Bake until the cheese just starts to melt -- about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with optional garnishes.