May 4, 2012
This pancake, a fancy cousin of the puffy Dutch baby, is filled with cinnamon spiced apples and baked in the oven. More custard than cake, this breakfast is sure to warm the belly and is perfect with a side of bacon or sausage.
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 extra-large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade attachment.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of the granulated sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add apple mixture, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Remove apples and any liquid to a bowl to cool.
- Wipe out skillet and place in the oven to heat it while you mix milk, eggs, flour, salt, remaining sugar and vanilla in a blender until smooth.
- Add remaining butter hot skillet. Pour in batter. Spoon apple mixture over the top, then bake pancake in the oven on the middle rack until puffed and golden and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
More Disney Mother's Day Crafts & Recipes