Sep 11, 2011
The "aliens" in Race to Witch Mountain look like normal kids - but this fun activity will turn a normal kid into an awesome alien!
These creatures come in peace! As party guests arrive, let them launch right into action with a mask-making project. We created ours with glow-in-the-dark craft foam and stickers so we could dim the lights and set an otherworldly mood (you could also use fluorescent materials, then switch on a black light).
Black plastic masks (available at craft and party stores
Green craft foam (1 sheet per mask)
Double-sided foam tape (we like Duck brand mounting tape)
Black permanent marker
Googly eyes (1 inch in diameter)
1. Cut out craft foam headpieces with scissors so that they are slightly wider than the mask and approximately twice as tall. Click here
to print out a mask template.
2. Line up the mask at the bottom of the headpiece and trace the eye openings onto the craft foam with a marker. Using the craft knife, cut out the eyeholes.
3. Use foam tape to attach a headpiece to the front of each mask. (Some brands of foam tape work better than others; if yours isn't sticking well, duct tape works too.)
4. Draw and cut out alien ears, including a tab on the inside edge as shown so you can tape the ears to the back of the headpieces. Click here to print out the alien ears template.
5. With a pushpin, poke a hole into each Ping-Pong ball.