Jun 21, 2011
Prepare for the fun of Chitty Bang Bang with this multicoloured masterpiece of meringue. Choose any colors you like, but use food coloring sparingly. One drop at a time.
To make: 50 minutes
To bake: 30-35 minutes (+ 45 minutes cooling in oven)
You Will Need:
3 egg whites (medium)
3/4 cups superfine sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Food colouring -- red, green, yellow. Use a toothpick to add one drop at a time.
Makes 30 meringues. Bake at 250˚F
1. Separate the eggs. Crack the eggs over a large bowl and separate the whites from the yolks. You only need the whites.
Separating an egg is easy once you know how. Have 2 bowls ready. Tap the egg firmly on the edge of one bowl so the shell cracks open. Let the egg white drop into one bowl and then tip the egg yolk into another bowl.
2. Whisk the whites. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Be careful not to overbeat, since they will start to look lumpy -- a little like cotton balls.
Whisking egg whites is easiest using an electric mixer (always ask Mom or Dad), but try it with a hand whisk.
There are 3 stages to whisking egg whites. At first stage, the whites form soft, floppy peaks when the blades are lifted up. Continue whisking and they will form stiff peaks that stand straight up, perfect for meringues. If you whisk the egg for too long it becomes lumpy and overbeaten.
3. Add the sugar. Add 1 tsp of sugar to the egg whites; whisk. Pour in a second and continue whisking. Add remaining sugar, while whisking to stiff peaks.
4. Add lemon juice. Whisk in the cornstarch and lemon juice until just combined. The meringue should look smooth and glossy.
5. Add a little colour. Divide the meringue into 3 bowls and color each one with a couple of drops of food colouring. Fold the colour in using a spatula.
6. Make meringue swirls. Spoon the meringue into a piping bag and squeeze to make swirls onto 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment. Make each one about 1 inch across. Now bake in the oven.
7. Bake the meringues for 30-35 minutes, until firm on the outside. Turn off the oven and leave them for a further 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
Piping tips: To fill the piping bag stand it in a tall glass and fold the edges down over the rim. For the swirls use a 1/2 inch tip.
Serving suggestions: When the meringues are cool, sandwich them together with whipped cream or softened vanilla ice cream.
Article reprinted by permission of Disney Canada. View original here.