Floodway or flood fringe?

Following the Alberta floods this year, the provincial government has changed the flood-proofing rules for people living in the highest-risk areas. One of the changes: people living in a flood-fringe area must take measures to flood-proof their homes if they want to be covered against future disasters. But do you know if you live in a floodway or flood fringe? Use this interactive map to get an idea of if you are expected to take extra measures to protect your home.

Posted: July 18, 2013

Story Social Media

End of Story Social Media

Loading Map
The floodway is where flood flows are deepest, fastest and most destructive. New development is discouraged in the floodway and may not be permitted in some communities.
Flood fringe
The water in the flood fringe is generally less than one metre deep and flows more slowly. Development in the flood fringe may be permitted provided that its adequately flood-proofed

Source: Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development

Data source: Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development According to the ESRD, this digital data may not reflect official flood hazard areas delineated in original hardcopy mapping produced under its flood hazard identification program. Contact the ESRD for clarification if required.

Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Submission Policy

Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are moderated and published according to our submission guidelines.