US criminal court for PTSD veterans
Jennifer Wade of Vancouver had a story of her own to relate to Jennifer Westaway's report from California on special courts in the U.S. for PTDS veterans who commit crimes on the February 16th Dispatches program.
I wonder if we dream to think people can ever come back from the brutality of war and be "normal" again? My father, a Canadian, was a psychiatrist with the Indian Medical Service during World War II, and as such, ran a convalescent home in Naini Tal, India, for the soldiers coming and going from the Burma Front.
Often he would say that what returns from the war to a nation makes for the real tragedy.
His hope was just to give the returning soldiers some purpose, perhaps some new purpose since many of them had come to see life as cruel, meaningless, and pointless. But he never once even pretended they could be the same men who left for war.
I often think about his observations as our soldiers now return from Afghanistan, a tragic war that in my opinion, never should have been.
William Burr writes:
Just heard Jennifer Westaway's documentary on the veterans' court in the U.S. Loved it - stayed in the car in my driveway to listen instead of going into the house. Thanks so much to you and her for bringing it to me.
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Hillary Clinton hails SCOTUS ruling as win for 'safe, legal' abortion
- Hillary Clinton's shift on abortion: from "safe, legal and rare" to "safe and legal. What leaving out that one word signals about the presumptive Democratic nominee's changing views, and the changing political landscape.
- Global markets show some signs of life after Brexit doldrums video
- World stock benchmarks stabilized Tuesday after days of stomach-churning swings as investors started shaking off the jitters from Britain's vote to quit the European Union and its messy aftermath.
- Elizabeth Warren stumps for Hillary Clinton for 1st time in campaign
- Liberal Elizabeth Warren attacked Republican Donald Trump on Monday during her first campaign appearance with U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, calling him an "insecure money grubber" who is driven by greed and hate.
- EgyptAir crash: French authorities begin criminal inquiry
- French authorities opened a manslaughter inquiry Monday into the May crash of an EgyptAir plane that killed 66 people, saying there is no evidence so far to link it to terrorism.
- UNICEF report says dramatic inequality exists among world's children
- The number of children who do not attend school is rising, child marriage has not dropped in decades and millions of young children will die mostly preventable deaths by 2030 if global poverty is not addressed, UNICEF says in a bleak new report.