From our tribute to a jailed poet in China
Lois Seigel of Pembroke, Ontario heard Rick's comments on dissident poet Zhu Yufu in the February 16 Dispatches program. He's been imprisoned for evoking the Tiananmen Square massacre in his call for an Arab Spring-type movement in China.
I have just listened to a portion of your Dispatches program today, and you made reference to the uprising in Tiananmen Square in 1989. I am currently reading a book which was written by one of the ring-leaders of that uprising. Her name is Chai Ling and the title of her book is "A Heart for Freedom", published by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. in 2011. I would recommend this book to you.
It tells her story of that uprising, her daring escape to America and her current quest, which is to free the girls of China. I am finding it quite an interesting account, even though it happened over 20 years ago. I was lying in bed that Sunday morning, when I heard that the tanks had entered the square. My heart was broken for those people who wanted freedom so badly. I prayed that they would succeed, but that did not happen.
My husband and sons were at a fishing lodge, so I was alone. I grieved for those Chinese people all day! and then some. Some of her colleagues are exceptionally brilliant people, and some of them have worked for Mitt Romney and Warren Buffett. She started her own corporation - but I won't give away her story. I hope you enjoy the read!
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Al-Shabaab leader Zakariya Ismail Ahmed Hersi surrenders
- A leader with the Islamic extremist group al-Shabaab, who had a $3 million US bounty on his head, surrendered Saturday in Somalia, an intelligence official says.
- Iran suicide drone tested during military exercises
- Iran's army has deployed a suicide drone for the first time in massive ongoing military drills near the strategic Strait of Hormuz at the entrance to the Persian Gulf.
- ISIS suspicions trigger detentions in Indonesia video
- Indonesian police detained six people on Saturday, including a 10-year-old girl, on suspicion that they planned to travel to Syria to join ISIS, a police spokesman said.
- Video Hippo jumps from moving truck in Taiwan video
- A hippopotamus jumped out of a truck as it was being transported in Taiwan on Friday, breaking a tooth and a leg and lying on the street for hours.
- Exodus movie banned in Egypt, says 20th Century Fox video
- Egypt has banned Hollywood's big screen biblical epic Exodus: Gods and Kings, a 20th Century Fox spokesman said on Friday.