Asian carp threat: eat invasive species
Monica Young of Surrey, B.C. heard Rick's piece on the invasive Asian carp (September 8) threatening to breach the electric barriers to The Great Lakes, in Chicago.
Do you guys realise that carps are considered as delicacy in the Orient? They are very expensive in China. Why don't fishermen catch them and sell them back to Asia? We can get frozen carp in T&T Supermarket(a subsidery of Lablaw now) in Western Canada. I have seen alive ones too. But they are very expensive. A Polish friend told me that they eat carp back in Poland but cannot get them here in Canada. From reading, I know the Czechs eat them too for Christmas.
About 10 years ago, the media was talking about those invading crabs from Asia in San Francisco Bay. Again those crabs are considered to be high-end crabs back in China and are extremely expensive. We don't seem to have any enterprising business people to organise(get license) a comcercial fishing/crabbing to catch them for food for ethnic Poles, Chinese or other Oriental, or even export them back to Asia. We can occasionally get these crabs at very high price at T&T Supermarket.
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN CALAIS France starts to evict people from Calais 'jungle' refugee camp
- French authorities begin dismantling the refugee camp outside of Calais that's sometimes known as "the jungle." But the future is unclear for the estimated 9,000 people living there.
- Iraq government investigating airstrike on mosque that left 13 dead
- Iraqi forces shelled Islamic State positions outside Mosul on Monday as fighting to retake the extremist-held city entered its second week. A rights group, meanwhile, urged a probe into a suspected airstrike last week that mistakenly hit a mosque, killing over a dozen civilians.
- Tom Hayden, Chicago 8 anti-war activist and later a politician, dead at 76
- Tom Hayden, the famed 1960s anti-war activist who moved beyond his notoriety as a Chicago 8 defendant to become a California legislator, author and lecturer, has died. He was 76.
- Sailors abducted 4½ years ago by Somali pirates freed
- Following more than four years in captivity, 26 Asian sailors held hostage by Somali pirates have been rescued from their captors, China's Foreign Ministry confirmed Monday.
- Clinton and Democrats are looking past Trump, focusing on winning House and Senate seats
- Hillary Clinton says she doesn't "even think about responding" to Trump anymore and would instead spend the final weeks on the road "emphasizing the importance of electing Democrats down the ballot" in an effort to help them seize the Senate and chip away at the Republican-controlled House.