Asian carp threat: eat invasive species
Monica Young of Surrey, B.C. heard Rick's piece on the invasive Asian carp (September 8) threatening to breach the electric barriers to The Great Lakes, in Chicago.
Do you guys realise that carps are considered as delicacy in the Orient? They are very expensive in China. Why don't fishermen catch them and sell them back to Asia? We can get frozen carp in T&T Supermarket(a subsidery of Lablaw now) in Western Canada. I have seen alive ones too. But they are very expensive. A Polish friend told me that they eat carp back in Poland but cannot get them here in Canada. From reading, I know the Czechs eat them too for Christmas.
About 10 years ago, the media was talking about those invading crabs from Asia in San Francisco Bay. Again those crabs are considered to be high-end crabs back in China and are extremely expensive. We don't seem to have any enterprising business people to organise(get license) a comcercial fishing/crabbing to catch them for food for ethnic Poles, Chinese or other Oriental, or even export them back to Asia. We can occasionally get these crabs at very high price at T&T Supermarket.
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Hillary Clinton sets out to redefine image as presidential campaign swings into full gear video
- During the four-day Democratic Party convention, Hillary Clinton, her husband Bill Clinton, U.S. President Barack Obama and many other speakers set out to redefine her and change her narrative as she tries to convince Americans that she is best suited for the presidency.
- Live Florida reports 1st locally transmitted cases of Zika video
- The first cases of Zika transmitted by mosquitoes on the U.S. mainland have been reported in Florida, the state's governor said Friday.
- U.S. Democratic congressional group confirms it was hacked
- The U.S. Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee confirmed on Friday that it had been the target of a cyber security incident similar to other recent attacks, including the theft of documents from the Democratic National Committee.
- 1 San Diego police officer killed, another injured in traffic stop shooting
- A traffic stop led to a shootout that killed an anti-gang police officer and seriously injured another, authorities said Friday. A suspect was shot and taken into custody while authorities searched for others who may have been involved.
- New Sandy Hook school to open, 4 years after massacre
- The old Sandy Hook Elementary School was torn down after a gunman's rampage in December 2012. Now, a new $50 million US, 86,000-square-foot school has been built to replace it.