Barbie goes to Greece
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 6:37 AM
Good morning, Mr. MacInnes-Rae,
I spent most of 1993 backpacking alone around the world. Often I would meet like-minded people on my travels. People whom I'd be with for just a few, intense days. One distinct memory I have is on a Greek Island in the spring of 1993. I was with two other young women walking back to our beach condo after a beautiful day of tearing around on mopeds, lazing on the beach, and eating great Greek food. As we crested the hill, we started singing Meryn Cadell's song "Barbie" at the top of our lungs. It was a great Canadian song of our time. "Don't throw your Barbie dolls in the ocean. There are more important things for them to do." I never did swap addresses with those women, but as a mom of three now that song is still incredibly poignant.
Paige Raymond Kovach
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Trump shames ex-beauty queen for sexual history
- Donald Trump shames a former beauty pageant winner for her sexual history and encouraged Americans to check out what he called her "sex tape," in an early morning tweet storm that drags him further away from his campaign's efforts to broaden its appeal to women.
- Global carbon dioxide levels reach highest point ever, likely for good
- Global carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere have surpassed 400 parts per million, and will almost certainly remain there indefinitely, according to new numbers from the Scripps carbon dioxide monitoring program at the Mauna Loa observatory in Hawaii.
- CBC IN CHINA China's wine pioneers up against climate, stereotypes
- Wine consumption in China is growing dramatically, driven by young, affluent Chinese who see it as a symbol of social sophistication. And now, a small group of devoted entrepreneurs are trying to grow some of that wine locally, battling a challenging climate and negative stereotypes about made-in-China products.
- South Carolina boy, 14, charged with murder after dad shot dead, shots fired at students
- A South Carolina boy was charged as a juvenile Friday with murder and three counts of attempted murder after authorities allege the 14-year-old killed his father at home, and then went to a school and opened fire on students in a playground.
- San Diego police release videos of officer fatally shooting unarmed black man video
- Video footage released Friday of the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black man in a San Diego suburb shows an officer fired four shots almost immediately after the man suddenly raised both hands to chest level and took what was described as a shooting stance.