Your Dispatches: December 2010 Archives
Friday December 3, 2010
Tanna Patterson of Creston, B.C. heard Annie Correal's Kidnap Radio and added some thoughts about her own work on the subject.
Thank you for airing "Kidnap Radio," a fascinating program about the radio station linking hostages in the Colombian jungle to their loved ones.
My new novel (Oct. 2010) "Butterflies in Bucaramanga," published by NeWest Press, is a fictionalized account of the 1998 kidnapping of Creston driller Ed Leonard, from his place of work in Colombia. It is also the story of his family, trying (unsuccessfully) to glean information from Foreign Affairs and the Canadian mining company, and it is the story of the drill boss who exchanged his own freedom for that of his worker.
Butterflies play a significant role in the hostage's survival. On Dec. 10, the profits from Butterflies in Bucaramanga will be directed to Amnesty International's "Write for Rights" campaign to end political killings, "disappearances" and torture. Thank you for such an interesting program and for all of your dispatches from Colombia which I followed religiously when writing my book.
Categories: Your Dispatches
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- Tue., 16 – Uyghur Thriller Soundtrax
- July 2011
- Fri., 8 – Where an uncorrupt official is big news
- May 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- Fri., 3 – Colombia's Kidnap Radio on the air
- November 2010
- Fri., 26 – Seoul... kimchi, an aid to weight control
- Tue., 23 – Kampala..The Secret Reach Of "The Family"
- Tue., 23 – Krakow...The Weather With You here
- Tue., 23 – Germany...neeles ant peens here
- Mon., 15 – Zimbabwe...Waiting For The Rain here
- Fri., 5 – China, Japan and rare earth in context
- Fri., 5 – Got your goat shopping done?
- Fri., 5 – From Burma to B.C.
- Mon., 1 – The case for Thorium power continued...
- Mon., 1 – Nicaragua...the remains of a DC-3 here
- October 2010
- Mon., 25 – NYC 9/11...What's Going On here?
- Fri., 22 – Clean cookstoves r you...
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Mon., 18 – The Cuban diet...continued
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – Lusaka, SA...Tracy Chapman echoes here
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Fri., 15 – India's secret war
- Tue., 12 – Khao Lak, Thailand...song from the Tsunami
- August 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- Mon., 17 – pop-up test
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Delta plane skids off runway at LaGuardia Airport in New York video
- A Delta jetliner landing at LaGuardia Airport in a driving snowstorm on Thursday skidded off a runway and crashed through a chain-link fence, its nose coming to rest on a berm at the edge of an ic
- India gang-rape victim's parents pursue legal action over jailhouse interview video
- The parents of a woman raped and killed on a New Delhi bus in 2012 explains to CBC News why they have turned to the courts after controversial comments from one of the perpetrators in a new documentary came to light this week.
- ISIS follows up Iraqi museum attack by ransacking archaeological site
- Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants "bulldozed" the renowned archaeological site of the ancient city of Nimrud in northern Iraq on Thursday using heavy military vehicles, the government said.
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev trial: Jeff Bauman testifies at Boston bombing trial video
- Jeff Bauman, who lost his legs in the Boston Marathon bombing and whose injuries were captured in an iconic photo of the attack, testified today that he locked eyes with with Tamerlan Tsarnaev moments before the explosion.
- Ebola outbreak: Doctor's use of Canada's experimental vaccine offer clues
- The case of a doctor who received the Canadian-developed Ebola vaccine after pricking his glove treating patients in Sierra Leone offers clues to its use in controlling the outbreak.