Pink Saris...abused women fight back in India
Michelle Verwey of Indore, India heard Rick's interview with filmmaker Kim Longinotto about her film Pink Saris -- referring to the uniform in India of abused women banding together to fight back.
Thank you for the September 23rd show, which I listened to as a podcast just this morning. I particularly enjoyed hearing about the documentary film Pink Sarees. I am a Victoria, B.C. native teaching nursing in Central India. Many of my post-basic BSc students are from states in India where life as a woman is very challenging, such as Orissa, Madhyas Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, and Chhattishgarh. I am interested in finding a copy of Pink Sarees to see if it would be useful for part of my community health class on social action and women's rights. Is the film available on DVD?
More on Pink Saris and Kim Longinotto
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Photos Climate change threatens World Heritage sites, report says
- Dozens of iconic tourist destinations like Venice, Stonehenge and Old Town Lunenburg, N.S., are threatened by risks linked to climate change, from rising sea levels to extreme weather, says the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- Ambassador Kevin Vickers, former House sergeant-at-arms, tackles protester in Dublin video
- Canada's ambassador to Ireland, and the onetime sergeant-at-arms who shot Ottawa gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau after he stormed Parliament Hill in 2014, tackled a protester at a ceremony in Dublin this morning.
- CBC IN JAPAN Canada expects 'strong' G7 statement against paying hostage ransoms video audio
- The G7 is poised to take a strong stand against the practice of governments paying ransoms for hostages kidnapped by groups with links to terrorism, one of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's top priorities at this summit of world leaders.
- New NASA hits snag while inflating new room at space station
- NASA hit a snag while releasing air into an experimental inflatable room at the International Space Station on Thursday and put everything on hold for at least a day.
- New Donald Trump reaches magic number to clinch Republican nomination
- Donald Trump reaches the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and sets the stage for a bitter fall campaign.