Pink Saris...abused women fight back in India
Michelle Verwey of Indore, India heard Rick's interview with filmmaker Kim Longinotto about her film Pink Saris -- referring to the uniform in India of abused women banding together to fight back.
Thank you for the September 23rd show, which I listened to as a podcast just this morning. I particularly enjoyed hearing about the documentary film Pink Sarees. I am a Victoria, B.C. native teaching nursing in Central India. Many of my post-basic BSc students are from states in India where life as a woman is very challenging, such as Orissa, Madhyas Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, and Chhattishgarh. I am interested in finding a copy of Pink Sarees to see if it would be useful for part of my community health class on social action and women's rights. Is the film available on DVD?
More on Pink Saris and Kim Longinotto
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Mud-slinging and Mexican flags define decade-long battle over Trump's Scottish golf course
- The remote Scottish coastline just north of Aberdeen is a place of wild beauty, where the sand dunes rise to great heights. But there are other disorienting vistas — none more so than the site of a Mexican flag flapping in the wind. It's a not-so-subtle message directed at the man who has just become president of the United States.
- CBC IN IRAN If Trump nixes nuclear deal, 'we are prepared,' says country's atomic chief
- Iran says it is reserving judgment on new U.S. President Donald Trump. But if he does, as he’s vowed, “tear up” the international deal Tehran reached on curbing its nuclear program, it could quickly ramp that program back up, says the country’s atomic energy chief.
- More survivors pulled from rubble of Italian hotel, all 4 children survived video
- Emergency crews pulled out four more survivors from the rubble of a hotel crushed by an avalanche and were searching Saturday for more as family members awaited word of their relatives.
- Analysis Trump delights supporters, alarms trading partners with inaugural speech
- U.S. President Donald Trump's inaugural speech was tonic for the crowd that flooded Washington from those blue-collar, rust-belt states that turned on the Democrats last year when Trump offered them the brash guarantee of better days ahead.
- Turkish parliament backs plans to strengthen presidency
- The Turkish parliament has backed a plan to strengthen the powers of the presidency, paving the way for a referendum on the issue in spring which, if passed, could allow President Tayyip Erdogan to stay in office until 2029.