Kampala..The Secret Reach Of "The Family"
Susan Rayf of Toronto heard Carolyn Dunn's The View From Here From Kampala and writes:
Anyone interested in the politics of Uganda and the proposed bill to execute homosexuals should listen to the podcast The Secret Political Reach Of 'The Family' on NPR. The Family, an american evangelical right wing group, has much influence in Uganda. A member of The Family sponsored this bill. Click and scroll down the transcript for the discussion of Uganda. Great show. Thanks
Categories: The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Ukraine crisis: Kerry, Lavrov to meet ahead of Crimea referendum
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry flew to London on Friday to meet with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov ahead of a Crimean referendum on whether the Ukrainian region should secede.
- Analysis Crimean referendum highlights region's fractured identity
- On Sunday, Crimeans will vote on whether to leave Ukraine and join Russia. Given the majority-Russian population in the region, it's expected Crimea will vote to join Russia, but other groups, such as the Crimean Tatars, are worried about what it will mean for their futures.
- Analysis How the West made a hash of the Afghan war
- With Canada (gone), NATO (packing up) and maybe even the U.S. pulling out almost entirely later this year, Afghanistan's future looks pretty bleak. But then so was the last almost 13 years, Brian Stewart writes.
- New York City gas explosion: Rescuers search through rubble
- Workers searching a pile of rubble from a gas explosion are using sound devices to probe for voices and telescopic cameras to peer into small spaces.
- Tony Benn, devoted British socialist, dies at 88
- Tony Benn, a committed British socialist who irritated, fascinated — and bored — Britons through a political career spanning more than five decades and who renounced his aristocratic title rather than leave the House of Commons, has died. He was 88.