Krakow...The Weather With You here
That Song...Rose Condo of Winnipeg heard Karen Palmer tell of hearing Barry White coming out of a speaker in a fortune teller's hut in Ghana, and sends her own musical story
I'm in my mid-thirties now, but when I was in my late twenties I went traveling through Europe with my dear sister Sue. On our two month journey we encountered countless bizarre moments -- from overnight treks on busses seated next to wacky fellow travelers, to bedbugs in hostels, to strange and wonderful foods to eat, and all sorts of ill-fated attempts at local languages (thank goodness for French classes in high school!).
Whether in a pub in London or a nightclub in Salzburg, we began to hear songs that would follow us from country to country. One such song found us time and again.... The song is Weather With You by Crowded House, and the quintessential line for our traveling ears was "Everywhere you go you always take the weather with you."
One encounter with this song is particularly memorable. Sue and I had been in Poland for about a week, and two friends of ours from England flew over to join us for a few days in Krakow. We had been out on the town one night, and had stopped at one of Krakow's 19 quadrillion kebab stands. Just as we were watching the proprietor whip together our kebabs with unbelievable speed and dexterity, Weather With You came trickling out of the tiny radio chained to the stand.
We frantically mimed for the kebab man to turn up the radio, which he did and we belted out the chorus of the song and danced in the street. What made the moment even more amazing was that these were the BEST KEBABS EVER.
The next night we went searching around Krakow looking for this same spot, and couldn't find it again in the labyrinthine streets of this wonderful city. That moment of music and delicious late night snack food was incredibly memorable. My sister and I are now both married and living (somewhat) grown up lives, but that song always takes us back to that night in Krakow.
Thanks for reading, and I love your show,
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated Illegal immigrants treated better than veterans, Donald Trump tells biker rally
- Donald Trump says illegal immigrants are cared for better in the United States than the nation's military veterans.
- Alan Pulido, striker for Olympiacos, reportedly kidnapped
- According to media outlets, Mexican soccer player Alan Pulido has been kidnapped near his hometown of Ciudad Victoria, the capital of a state plagued by organized crime.
- Weakened but rainy tropical depression Bonnie hits South Carolina
- Tropical Storm Bonnie has weakened to a tropical depression, reaching the South Carolina coast. While the storm's winds have eased, it's still generating a lot of rain on the Memorial Day weekend.
- 700 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean shipwrecks video
- The UN refugee agency says over 700 migrants may have drowned in Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks south of Italy in the last few days as they tried to reach Europe.
- Hospital bombings won't keep them away from Syria or Yemen, health workers say
- As the World Health Organization reports almost 1,000 people have been killed in attacks on hospitals and health-care workers in war zones, a nurse and a doctor say that won't stop them from returning to places like Syria and Yemen that desperately need their help.