Krakow...The Weather With You here
That Song...Rose Condo of Winnipeg heard Karen Palmer tell of hearing Barry White coming out of a speaker in a fortune teller's hut in Ghana, and sends her own musical story
I'm in my mid-thirties now, but when I was in my late twenties I went traveling through Europe with my dear sister Sue. On our two month journey we encountered countless bizarre moments -- from overnight treks on busses seated next to wacky fellow travelers, to bedbugs in hostels, to strange and wonderful foods to eat, and all sorts of ill-fated attempts at local languages (thank goodness for French classes in high school!).
Whether in a pub in London or a nightclub in Salzburg, we began to hear songs that would follow us from country to country. One such song found us time and again.... The song is Weather With You by Crowded House, and the quintessential line for our traveling ears was "Everywhere you go you always take the weather with you."
One encounter with this song is particularly memorable. Sue and I had been in Poland for about a week, and two friends of ours from England flew over to join us for a few days in Krakow. We had been out on the town one night, and had stopped at one of Krakow's 19 quadrillion kebab stands. Just as we were watching the proprietor whip together our kebabs with unbelievable speed and dexterity, Weather With You came trickling out of the tiny radio chained to the stand.
We frantically mimed for the kebab man to turn up the radio, which he did and we belted out the chorus of the song and danced in the street. What made the moment even more amazing was that these were the BEST KEBABS EVER.
The next night we went searching around Krakow looking for this same spot, and couldn't find it again in the labyrinthine streets of this wonderful city. That moment of music and delicious late night snack food was incredibly memorable. My sister and I are now both married and living (somewhat) grown up lives, but that song always takes us back to that night in Krakow.
Thanks for reading, and I love your show,
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Nobody on Earth could make a good enough Supreme Court justice for Republicans video
- The replacement for Justice Antonin Scalia, who was found dead Saturday in Texas, is already becoming a big, bitterly disputed political issue in the U.S. presidential election, exactly what you'd think such an appointment should not be.
- Feral parakeets taking over London, prompting concerns they'll push out native birds
- In London, parakeets are everywhere and their populations are spreading throughout the U.K. and Europe, prompting concerns the invasive species could harm native ecosystems.
- Turkey shells Syrian Kurds, Russia says it will keep bombing rebels
- For the second day in a row, Turkish government forces have shelled a Kurdish-backed militia that is fighting ISIS in northern Syria.
- Replacing Antonin Scalia, U.S. Supreme Court justice, 'bigger than any one party,' Obama says video
- President Barack Obama says he will seek to fill the U.S. Supreme Court seat left vacant by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, charging into a likely prolonged election-year fight with Republicans.
- Live Pope Francis hosts mass for 300K faithful in gritty Mexico City suburb video
- Hundreds of thousands of people gathered Sunday as Pope Francis began what was expected to be the biggest event of his five-day trip to Mexico: a mass in the capital's crime-ridden suburb of Ecatepec, where drug violence, gangland-style executions and kidnappings are a daily fact of life.