Krakow...The Weather With You here
That Song...Rose Condo of Winnipeg heard Karen Palmer tell of hearing Barry White coming out of a speaker in a fortune teller's hut in Ghana, and sends her own musical story
I'm in my mid-thirties now, but when I was in my late twenties I went traveling through Europe with my dear sister Sue. On our two month journey we encountered countless bizarre moments -- from overnight treks on busses seated next to wacky fellow travelers, to bedbugs in hostels, to strange and wonderful foods to eat, and all sorts of ill-fated attempts at local languages (thank goodness for French classes in high school!).
Whether in a pub in London or a nightclub in Salzburg, we began to hear songs that would follow us from country to country. One such song found us time and again.... The song is Weather With You by Crowded House, and the quintessential line for our traveling ears was "Everywhere you go you always take the weather with you."
One encounter with this song is particularly memorable. Sue and I had been in Poland for about a week, and two friends of ours from England flew over to join us for a few days in Krakow. We had been out on the town one night, and had stopped at one of Krakow's 19 quadrillion kebab stands. Just as we were watching the proprietor whip together our kebabs with unbelievable speed and dexterity, Weather With You came trickling out of the tiny radio chained to the stand.
We frantically mimed for the kebab man to turn up the radio, which he did and we belted out the chorus of the song and danced in the street. What made the moment even more amazing was that these were the BEST KEBABS EVER.
The next night we went searching around Krakow looking for this same spot, and couldn't find it again in the labyrinthine streets of this wonderful city. That moment of music and delicious late night snack food was incredibly memorable. My sister and I are now both married and living (somewhat) grown up lives, but that song always takes us back to that night in Krakow.
Thanks for reading, and I love your show,
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- 59 killed, 117 wounded after gunmen attack Pakistani police training centre
- A Pakistani police official says the death toll from a brazen overnight militant attack on a police training centre in the southwestern city of Quetta has risen to 59 people, mostly police cadets and trainees.
- 'I don't tweet at 3 a.m. about people who insult me': Obama shades Trump on Kimmel
- President Barack Obama on Monday trolled Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump - known for his prolific use of Twitter to settle scores – making Trump the punch line for jokes on ABC's late-night show Jimmy Kimmel Live.
- Australian theme park accident kills 4
- Four people were killed in an accident at a theme park on Australia's east coast on Tuesday, officials said.
- 'I stand by what I told Rolling Stone': Woman who alleged rape testifies at trial
- The subject of a Rolling Stone article on a gang rape at the University of Virginia that the magazine retracted after investigators found no evidence the attack occurred, testified on Monday she believed she had told the reporter the truth.
- At least 12 killed in northern Kenya attack near Somalia
- Gunmen from an extremist group killed 12 people in an attack targeting non-Muslims in Kenya's northern Mandera County, near the Somali border, an official said Tuesday.