Krakow...The Weather With You here
That Song...Rose Condo of Winnipeg heard Karen Palmer tell of hearing Barry White coming out of a speaker in a fortune teller's hut in Ghana, and sends her own musical story
I'm in my mid-thirties now, but when I was in my late twenties I went traveling through Europe with my dear sister Sue. On our two month journey we encountered countless bizarre moments -- from overnight treks on busses seated next to wacky fellow travelers, to bedbugs in hostels, to strange and wonderful foods to eat, and all sorts of ill-fated attempts at local languages (thank goodness for French classes in high school!).
Whether in a pub in London or a nightclub in Salzburg, we began to hear songs that would follow us from country to country. One such song found us time and again.... The song is Weather With You by Crowded House, and the quintessential line for our traveling ears was "Everywhere you go you always take the weather with you."
One encounter with this song is particularly memorable. Sue and I had been in Poland for about a week, and two friends of ours from England flew over to join us for a few days in Krakow. We had been out on the town one night, and had stopped at one of Krakow's 19 quadrillion kebab stands. Just as we were watching the proprietor whip together our kebabs with unbelievable speed and dexterity, Weather With You came trickling out of the tiny radio chained to the stand.
We frantically mimed for the kebab man to turn up the radio, which he did and we belted out the chorus of the song and danced in the street. What made the moment even more amazing was that these were the BEST KEBABS EVER.
The next night we went searching around Krakow looking for this same spot, and couldn't find it again in the labyrinthine streets of this wonderful city. That moment of music and delicious late night snack food was incredibly memorable. My sister and I are now both married and living (somewhat) grown up lives, but that song always takes us back to that night in Krakow.
Thanks for reading, and I love your show,
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Obama the citizen: What's next for the outgoing president video
- Barack Obama will have a new address in the district not far from his current White House digs and new presidential library breaking ground in his hometown of Chicago. He'll also have new opportunities to shave some strokes off his golf score and a new role returning to his community organizing roots.
- Analysis Facing Trump-Putin axis, Ukraine turns to a white knight — Chrystia Freeland
- Can Canadian Foreign Minister and firm Putin critic Chrystia Freeland offer hope to isolated, war-burdened Ukraine? It's a long shot, Don Murray suggests, given the priorities of protecting Canada's trade interests.
- Live Theresa May indicates Britain will seek 'hard Brexit' in EU talks video
- Britain will not seek a Brexit deal that leaves it "half in, half out" of the EU, Prime Minister Theresa May will say on Tuesday in a speech setting out her priorities for divorce talks which indicates she is prepared to leave the single market.
- Analysis Top-down solutions from Davos elite out of step with populist anger: Don Pittis
- Voters seem to think it's time to stop counting on the rich, famous and powerful to tell us what to do. But the populist backlash against elites is no substitute for working out solutions from the ground up.
- Malaysia Airlines plane search suspended after nearly 3 years
- After nearly three years, the hunt for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 ended in futility and frustration Tuesday, as crews completed their deep-sea search of a desolate stretch of the Indian Ocean without finding a trace of the plane.