Krakow...The Weather With You here
That Song...Rose Condo of Winnipeg heard Karen Palmer tell of hearing Barry White coming out of a speaker in a fortune teller's hut in Ghana, and sends her own musical story
I'm in my mid-thirties now, but when I was in my late twenties I went traveling through Europe with my dear sister Sue. On our two month journey we encountered countless bizarre moments -- from overnight treks on busses seated next to wacky fellow travelers, to bedbugs in hostels, to strange and wonderful foods to eat, and all sorts of ill-fated attempts at local languages (thank goodness for French classes in high school!).
Whether in a pub in London or a nightclub in Salzburg, we began to hear songs that would follow us from country to country. One such song found us time and again.... The song is Weather With You by Crowded House, and the quintessential line for our traveling ears was "Everywhere you go you always take the weather with you."
One encounter with this song is particularly memorable. Sue and I had been in Poland for about a week, and two friends of ours from England flew over to join us for a few days in Krakow. We had been out on the town one night, and had stopped at one of Krakow's 19 quadrillion kebab stands. Just as we were watching the proprietor whip together our kebabs with unbelievable speed and dexterity, Weather With You came trickling out of the tiny radio chained to the stand.
We frantically mimed for the kebab man to turn up the radio, which he did and we belted out the chorus of the song and danced in the street. What made the moment even more amazing was that these were the BEST KEBABS EVER.
The next night we went searching around Krakow looking for this same spot, and couldn't find it again in the labyrinthine streets of this wonderful city. That moment of music and delicious late night snack food was incredibly memorable. My sister and I are now both married and living (somewhat) grown up lives, but that song always takes us back to that night in Krakow.
Thanks for reading, and I love your show,
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- SPECIAL REPORT CBC goes to the front lines in the battle for Aleppo
- Aleppo is 'the jewel of Syria.' It's also where the government is hoping to win the Syrian civil war, writes Margaret Evans.
- U.S. Congress moves ahead bill to simplify border crossing
- A long-awaited bill to simplify crossing the Canadian-U.S. border was introduced in American Congress Wednesday.
- Standing Rock leader tells protest camp it's time to go home video
- An Indigenous leader in North Dakota has told people who have been staying in a massive camp, set up months ago to oppose a contentious pipeline, that it's time to pack up and go home.
- PHOTOS Time's Person of the Year: Not always an honour, but often historic
- President-elect Donald Trump is the 2016 pick, 'for better or worse,' says the magazine. Here's a look at some past recipients, some highly acclaimed, some not.
- Retired general tapped for Homeland Security post, climate change denier to run environmental agency
- Donald Trump embraced new cabinet officers Wednesday whose backgrounds suggest he's primed to put tough actions behind his campaign rhetoric on immigration and the environment, even as he seemed to soften his year-long stance on immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children.