Germany...neeles ant peens here
That Song...Elisabeth Jastrau of Kitchener points to a piece of music from her travels:
As a university student on an exchange program in German many years ago, I had the good fortune to share an apartment with a German student. At the front of our apartment, which was on the ground floor, was a tailor shop. The shop owner was a young German seamstress, very enthusiastic and full of life. It was always a pleasure to speak with her and she was great company for a homesick foreign student.
Understanding her German dialect was a challenge, but speaking with her was a great opportunity for me to practice my German. Despite having very little understanding of the English language, she loved listening to American and British music on the radio. So one day she asked me about the meaning of a song she had heard quite often. She could not recall many words or much of the melody, but she remembered part of the chorus "neeles ant peens". She told me this was one of her favourite songs and was curious what it meant.
At first I didn't know what she was saying, so she repeated it a few times. Suddenly I realized that the song was Needles And Pins and I told her the meaning. We both had a good laugh at the irony of her loving a song with the words Needles and Pins, she herself being a seamstress...
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Why the spy trade is such a booming industry: Brian Stewart
- The alleged Russian plot that targeted the U.S. presidential election has raised concerns we’re headed for Cold War levels of spying, but there’s actually plenty of evidence the world soared past that point years ago.
- Trump pulls U.S. out of TPP, will renegotiate NAFTA 'at the appropriate time' video
- The new U.S. president made good on one of his campaign promises Monday, formally withdrawing the United States from the Trans-Pacific Partnership free-trade deal, and signalling his intention to renegotiate NAFTA 'at the appropriate time.'
- Dutch PM, trailing anti-immigration lawmaker in polls, says integrate or leave
- Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte sought to lure voters away from anti-immigration lawmaker Geert Wilders, as campaigning for the March 15 national elections heated up on Monday.
- Day 1 of Syrian peace talks have rocky start, but show progress from earlier meetings
- Talks between the Syrian government and representatives of rebel factions got off to a rocky start Monday after their first face-to-face meeting in Kazakhstan marked a major shift in the war's dynamics and confirmed Russia's role as regional heavyweight.
- Opinion Let us hope for a Donald Trump disaster
- If Trump’s success transfers from politics to governing, his dark and guttural ways will become entrenched and ubiquitous.