Germany...neeles ant peens here
That Song...Elisabeth Jastrau of Kitchener points to a piece of music from her travels:
As a university student on an exchange program in German many years ago, I had the good fortune to share an apartment with a German student. At the front of our apartment, which was on the ground floor, was a tailor shop. The shop owner was a young German seamstress, very enthusiastic and full of life. It was always a pleasure to speak with her and she was great company for a homesick foreign student.
Understanding her German dialect was a challenge, but speaking with her was a great opportunity for me to practice my German. Despite having very little understanding of the English language, she loved listening to American and British music on the radio. So one day she asked me about the meaning of a song she had heard quite often. She could not recall many words or much of the melody, but she remembered part of the chorus "neeles ant peens". She told me this was one of her favourite songs and was curious what it meant.
At first I didn't know what she was saying, so she repeated it a few times. Suddenly I realized that the song was Needles And Pins and I told her the meaning. We both had a good laugh at the irony of her loving a song with the words Needles and Pins, she herself being a seamstress...
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- In Depth Auschwitz liberation's 70th anniversary focuses on survivors video
- As the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazis' most notorious concentration camp approaches and survivors are dying, historians grapple with how to preserve the memory of the Holocaust.
- U.S. blizzard: New York braces for heavy snow as storms slam East Coast
- A "potentially historic" blizzard could dump 60 to 90 centimetres of snow on a large swath of the northeastern U.S., the National Weather Service said Sunday.
- New 2015 Miss Universe: Paulina Vega, Miss Colombia, is the winner
- Miss Colombia Paulina Vega has been crowned Miss Universe, beating out contestants from 87 other countries.
- Alex Ovechkin, inspired by girl with Down Syndrome, donates car to charity
- Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin's ploy to be picked last in the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft was for altruistic reasons after all. The all-star plans to donate a new car to a young girl with Down Syndrome.
- Malaysia Airlines site hacked by group claiming support for ISIS
- The website of embattled Malaysia Airlines has been hacked by a group proclaiming support for the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).