From Burma to B.C.
Shauna Jimenez of Calgry responded to our Nov. 4 piece from the Thai/Burmese border:
Thanks for your coverage on the fake elections in Burma. Canadian Friends of Burma are holding protests November 6 in many Canadian cities.
Here in Calgary, we will have a table at the Peace Fair November 6 at St. David's United church, with Karen, Burmese, Mon folks explaining the refugee and election situation. Our group also advocates and sponsors Burmese and Karen refugees.
(East Kootenay Friends of Burma resettles special needs Karen refugees to Interior BC, with 100% volunteer support).
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Tom Hayden, Chicago 8 anti-war activist and later a politician, dead at 76
- Tom Hayden, the famed 1960s anti-war activist who moved beyond his notoriety as a Chicago 8 defendant to become a California legislator, author and lecturer, has died. He was 76.
- Clinton and Democrats are looking past Trump, focusing on winning House and Senate seats
- Hillary Clinton says she doesn't "even think about responding" to Trump anymore and would instead spend the final weeks on the road "emphasizing the importance of electing Democrats down the ballot" in an effort to help them seize the Senate and chip away at the Republican-controlled House.
- Sailors abducted 4½ years ago by Somali pirates freed
- Following more than four years in captivity, 26 Asian sailors held hostage by Somali pirates have been rescued from their captors, China's Foreign Ministry confirmed Monday.
- At least 13 killed, dozens injured in California tour bus crash video
- A tour bus crashed into the back of a semi-truck on a southern California highway before dawn on Sunday, killing 13 people and injuring 31, an NBC affiliate reported.
- Bill Murray receives Mark Twain Prize, in Bill Murray fashion
- Comedian Bill Murray was awarded the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor at a star-studded Kennedy Center ceremony on Sunday.