Nunavut...caribou-head has many flavours here
Doug Stern of Cambridge Bay, Nunavut heard our piece about the Norwegian sheep's-head dish (smalahove, Oct 28/31) and also heard us ask if anybody had a story like it.
Yes I do, and it's not from another country, but ours, Canada.
In the central Arctic where I live, a traditional delicacy is cooked caribou head. Especially this time of year when caribou are close to town on their annual migration to the coast.
I'm originally from southern Ontario [Burlington], but after 28 years, a well cooked head is my favorite food. In the past 3 days I've had 'neaquq' [literally 'head'] for supper twice.
Yes its an aquired taste. and like the Norwegian students and some adults who are 'disgusted' by the look, so too are the younger generation of Inuit not quite so enamored of this meal. So it's becoming a meal more and more enjoyed by an older minority. But I count myself one of the converted. Brain, eyeball, optic nerve, jaw meat, nose, even the fat in the head tastes different. Couldn't ask for a better smorgasbord of flavours and textures.
Doug's smorgasboard, fresh from the oven!
Categories: The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- 7 Earth-like planets found orbiting star 39 light-years away video
- Scientists have discovered seven Earth-sized planets orbiting a small star 39 light-years away, with several planets believed to be capable of having water.
- Iraqi forces storm Mosul airport in battle against ISIS
- U.S.-backed Iraqi security forces closing in on the Islamic State-held western half of Mosul stormed the city's main airport and a nearby military base on Thursday, state television said.
- 'The water is not safe': San Jose, Calif., residents return to flooded homes
- Some residents returned home to sort through waterlogged furniture, toys and clothing after being abruptly evacuated when a surging creek carrying engine fuel and sewage water inundated thousands of homes in San Jose.
- Blast at Pakistan shopping centre leaves at least 8 dead
- A bomb blast in an upscale shopping centre in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore killed at least eight people and wounded 20 on Thursday, officials said, the latest in a surge of violence that has shaken the country.
- Trump administration revokes transgender washroom guidelines
- The Trump administration has lifted federal guidelines that said transgender students should be allowed to use public school bathrooms and locker rooms matching their chosen gender identity.