Nunavut...caribou-head has many flavours here
Doug Stern of Cambridge Bay, Nunavut heard our piece about the Norwegian sheep's-head dish (smalahove, Oct 28/31) and also heard us ask if anybody had a story like it.
Yes I do, and it's not from another country, but ours, Canada.
In the central Arctic where I live, a traditional delicacy is cooked caribou head. Especially this time of year when caribou are close to town on their annual migration to the coast.
I'm originally from southern Ontario [Burlington], but after 28 years, a well cooked head is my favorite food. In the past 3 days I've had 'neaquq' [literally 'head'] for supper twice.
Yes its an aquired taste. and like the Norwegian students and some adults who are 'disgusted' by the look, so too are the younger generation of Inuit not quite so enamored of this meal. So it's becoming a meal more and more enjoyed by an older minority. But I count myself one of the converted. Brain, eyeball, optic nerve, jaw meat, nose, even the fat in the head tastes different. Couldn't ask for a better smorgasbord of flavours and textures.
Doug's smorgasboard, fresh from the oven!
Categories: The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN ISTANBUL 'He always said he was going to kill her': Turkish laws protecting women are often ignored
- There is no shortage of laws protecting women in Turkey, activists say. But amid horrifying violence against women, the problem is getting lawyers and judges to apply them.
- Updated Manager deflects blame after fire turns Oakland artists' colony into 'mass grave'
- Firefighters say they have cleared 85 per cent of the Oakland, Calif., warehouse where a fire broke out Friday night and killed dozens of people during an underground dance party.
- Merkel calls for veil ban, looks to quell migrant concerns
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel advocates banning the full-face veils used by some Muslim women in a speech to her party's congress, stressing her determination to prevent a repeat of last year's huge migrant influx.
- Analysis Trump's Taiwan call could disrupt 'very calibrated dance' between U.S., China
- U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's official call with the leader of Taiwan breaks diplomatic protocol, a move that could lead to an economic and military standoff, Asia analysts warn.
- Updated Adele, Beyoncé, Bieber and Drake to vie for Grammy Awards
- Adele and Beyoncé, as well as Canadians Justin Bieber and Drake are among the nominees for the 59th annual Grammy Awards.