Nicaragua...the remains of a DC-3 here
That song: Derek Blackadder of Cobourg, Ontario hears an '80s Bruce Cockburn song that made a lot more sense to him later.
In March of 2006 my partner and I joined an 'exposure tour' with a Canadian international Development NGO called Horizons of Friendship. We spent several wonderful weeks wandering around Nicaragua...
...we had an afternoon in a village of less than 100 homes near the Honduran border. On a small hill overlooking the village was a DC-3 that had been used by the Samoza air force during the revolution as a bomber. It had regularly attacked the village, eventually being shot down by the village militia's rifles.
It had been dragged to the hill top and turned into a monument and a point of pride for the entire village.... Every time I hear Bruce Cockburn's If I Had A Rocket Launcher I can close my eyes and see that village below the hill.
Categories: The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Evidence Russian missile shot down Flight MH17 unlikely to bring closure to victims' families video
- Evidence released Wednesday showing Malaysian Air Flight MH17 was brought down by a Russian missile answers some questions for the Toronto-area family of a passenger on the flight, but they don’t expect it to bring any resolution.
- Refugee standing in 'shooting stance' killed by California officer video
- The fatal police shooting of a Ugandan refugee who drew something from his pocket and extended his hands in a "shooting stance" happened about a minute after officers in a San Diego suburb arrived at the scene where a mentally unstable man was reportedly walking in traffic.
- 15 rescued from landslide caused by Typhoon Megi, but others missings
- Rescuers have pulled 15 people alive from a landslide that slammed into a village in China's eastern Zhejiang province after a typhoon but 32 people are still missing there and in another nearby village, state media said on Thursday.
- Pepe the Frog joins swastika and Klan hood in Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database
- A popular internet meme has joined the ranks of the swastika and the burning cross in the Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database. But how did a cartoon frog with humble origins as a lovable indie comic book character become an emblem of white supremacy?
- Families of 9/11 victims can sue Saudi Arabia after Obama's veto overturned
- In a resounding rebuke, Democrats joined with Republicans Wednesday to hand Barack Obama the first veto override of his presidency, voting overwhelmingly to allow families of Sept. 11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia in U.S. courts for its alleged backing of the attackers.