Nicaragua...the remains of a DC-3 here
That song: Derek Blackadder of Cobourg, Ontario hears an '80s Bruce Cockburn song that made a lot more sense to him later.
In March of 2006 my partner and I joined an 'exposure tour' with a Canadian international Development NGO called Horizons of Friendship. We spent several wonderful weeks wandering around Nicaragua...
...we had an afternoon in a village of less than 100 homes near the Honduran border. On a small hill overlooking the village was a DC-3 that had been used by the Samoza air force during the revolution as a bomber. It had regularly attacked the village, eventually being shot down by the village militia's rifles.
It had been dragged to the hill top and turned into a monument and a point of pride for the entire village.... Every time I hear Bruce Cockburn's If I Had A Rocket Launcher I can close my eyes and see that village below the hill.
Categories: The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Battered eastern Ukraine seems headed into protracted on-and-off war
- Analysts and experts focused on the war in Ukraine believe a number of factors are combining to keep the Ukrainian conflict on the global diplomatic backburner.
- 'This is not a joke:' Confusion, Moonlight and other Oscar highlights video
- There was drama, comedy and even a plot twist on Sunday at the 89th Academy Awards in Los Angeles.
- Philippines condemns 'barbaric' killing of German hostage
- The Philippines condemns the "barbaric beheading" of a German captive by ISIS-linked Abu Sayyaf militants, who posted a video of the killing after a deadline for a $600,000 ransom passed.
- Video Moonlight wins best picture over La La Land in stunning Oscars finish video
- In a surreal moment destined for Oscar history, the best picture winner was mistakenly announced at the Academy Awards, with La La Land seemingly awarded the honour before Moonlight was ultimately confirmed as the real choice.
- North Korea executes officials with anti-aircraft guns, South's spy agency says
- North Korea executes five senior security officials with anti-aircraft guns because they made false reports that "enraged" leader Kim Jong-un, according to South Korea's spy agency.