Nicaragua...the remains of a DC-3 here
That song: Derek Blackadder of Cobourg, Ontario hears an '80s Bruce Cockburn song that made a lot more sense to him later.
In March of 2006 my partner and I joined an 'exposure tour' with a Canadian international Development NGO called Horizons of Friendship. We spent several wonderful weeks wandering around Nicaragua...
...we had an afternoon in a village of less than 100 homes near the Honduran border. On a small hill overlooking the village was a DC-3 that had been used by the Samoza air force during the revolution as a bomber. It had regularly attacked the village, eventually being shot down by the village militia's rifles.
It had been dragged to the hill top and turned into a monument and a point of pride for the entire village.... Every time I hear Bruce Cockburn's If I Had A Rocket Launcher I can close my eyes and see that village below the hill.
Categories: The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN NEW HAMPSHIRE Donald Trump wins, with a welcome Republican logjam behind him video
- Donald Trump scored a solid victory in New Hampshire's primary Tuesday night and his top rivals finished so close together they dashed the hopes of the Republican establishment wing that a clear alternative would emerge out of the Granite State.
- Chris Christie to drop bid for Republican presidential nomination: senior aide
- Chris Christie will end his campaign for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, a senior aide said on Wednesday, a day after the New Jersey governor's disappointing sixth-place showing in the New Hampshire primary.
- Carly Fiorina drops out of Republican presidential race
- Businesswoman Carly Fiorina announced the suspension of her bid for the Republican presidential nomination on Facebook Wednesday, a day after collecting only four per cent of the vote in the New Hampshire primary.
- Analysis Message to Putin as U.S. ups NATO ante in Eastern Europe
- Lost in the media focus on Syria was the fact that the U.S. just upped its NATO spending and added a brigade worth of armour to Eastern Europe. It's not checkmate, Vladimir Putin, but big pieces are being moved around, Brian Stewart writes.
- Photos show casting call for India's 1st transgender modeling agency
- Activist Rudrani Chettri held what local media called the first auditions for an all-transgender modeling agency in New Delhi on Sunday as part of a campaign to alter widely held perceptions about trans people in the country.