Nicaragua...the remains of a DC-3 here
That song: Derek Blackadder of Cobourg, Ontario hears an '80s Bruce Cockburn song that made a lot more sense to him later.
In March of 2006 my partner and I joined an 'exposure tour' with a Canadian international Development NGO called Horizons of Friendship. We spent several wonderful weeks wandering around Nicaragua...
...we had an afternoon in a village of less than 100 homes near the Honduran border. On a small hill overlooking the village was a DC-3 that had been used by the Samoza air force during the revolution as a bomber. It had regularly attacked the village, eventually being shot down by the village militia's rifles.
It had been dragged to the hill top and turned into a monument and a point of pride for the entire village.... Every time I hear Bruce Cockburn's If I Had A Rocket Launcher I can close my eyes and see that village below the hill.
Categories: The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis 'Mistakes happen': How 'miscalculation' could spark a U.S.-North Korea conflict
- Despite increased rhetoric, many experts dismiss the idea that a conflict between the U.S. and North Korea is imminent, yet there remains the threat that "miscalculation" could snowball into something much larger — and with dire consequences.
- Silence of the Lambs director Jonathan Demme dead at 73 video
- The Oscar-winning director of the 1991 horror-thriller film The Silence of the Lambs Jonathan Demme is dead at 73. Demme died from complications from esophageal cancer, Demme's publicist, Annalee Paulo, said.
- French intelligence blames sarin attack on Assad forces
- French intelligence concludes that forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad carried out a sarin nerve gas attack on April 4 in northern Syria and that Assad or members of his inner circle ordered the strike.
- Analysis What the first 100 days of power reveal about Donald Trump
- Now that Donald Trump has had a few months with the power to do what he always wanted to do, here's what we've seen him do.
- Turkey rounds up over 1,000 'secret imams'
- Turkish police launch simultaneous operations across the country, detaining more than 1,000 people with suspected links to U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen. Warrants have reportedly been issued for 2,200 others.