Mabou, Cape Breton...unsheepishly "fuaragish" here
Recently, Nacha Raman took us to the majestic Loenarhorgi mountains of Norway, and introduced us to a sheep's-head dish called Smalahove, complete with mouth-watering cheeks. Some of the trimmings made some Canadians feel right at home.
Writer Jim St.Clair of Mull River, Mabou Cape Breton tasted a familiar dish:
Your item concerning sheep's heads reminded me of the special food served in Gaelic homes in Cape Breton at this season - a halloween and all saints dish of great antiquity. Even our local hospital serves it to patients in obsevation of the tradtion - FUARAG- a Scottish Gaelic word - a mixture of fine raw otatmeal and whipped cream specially beaten for the occasion- sometimes a little brown sugar added. (Read more, click below)
Jim St.Clair continues...
And then also are added a ring, a button, a needle , a coin - and all gather around the bowl with spoons and serve themselves. BUT if you obtain also the button, it means you will remain unmarried and sew your own buttons; or perhaps you will be poor. The ring means you will marry in the next year and the needle means you will become a housewife with many duties in the coming year. A time of great firvolity. A coin signifies you will have wealth in the year to come.
I describe it in my story in my recent book (published through CBC and Cape Breton University Press) NANCY'S WEDDING FEAST AND OTHER TASTY TALES - a continuing feature of Gaelic/Celtic celebrations at places like Nova Scotia Highland Village in Iona and at the Bridge Museum in Mabou and in private houses such as ours where six generations of MacFarlanes, MacInnises and St.Clairs have lived.
Nacha's piece on smalahove...
Categories: Americas, The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Avalanche destroys Italian hotel, 3 bodies found and over 2 dozen missing video
- More than two dozen people are believed to be buried under snow and debris, and three bodies have been found, after an avalanche plowed into a luxury mountain hotel in central Italy following a series of earthquakes. A couple of men who were outside the hotel were found alive.
- CBC IN CHINA In the Year of the Rooster, China's leadership sizes up Trump
- Leaders in China wonder whether they should take the incoming U.S. president's pronouncements seriously, writes Sasa Petricic.
- 'Sometimes they're poignant moments': inauguration day transfers between presidents video
- Before he takes the oath of office Friday, Donald Trump will sit down with President Barack Obama for a traditional tea-or-coffee meeting and share a carpool ride to the Capitol — quaint rituals for two men with such a long, public rivalry.
- Iran says 30 Tehran firefighters killed as burning highrise collapses video
- A highrise building in Tehran engulfed by a fire collapsed on Thursday, killing at least 30 firefighters and injuring roughly 75 people, state media reported.
- Live Make America Great Again rally with Donald Trump and Mike Pence LIVE video
- President-elect expected to speak in Washington