I'm a stranger here myself
Will Everett's dispatch about becoming an unexpected guest at somebody else's dinner in India last week caught the attention of Peter Ottis in Ottawa.
It reminded (me) so much of my own experiences in Africa and the Middle East. Linguistic and cultural barriers all too often led to experiences like his... I often found myself in the middle of seemingly-endless meetings, or blindly following a city guide, completely confused at just what exactly I had gotten into. Thankfully, these experiences often lead to great stories that one can laugh about years later. Thanks for a great show.
Your letters. Our thanks. And do keep them coming to email@example.com
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Clinton's historic speech prompts tears and pride from Democrats video
- Hillary Clinton entered the history books Thursday night when she became the first woman to accept her party's nomination. Democrats cheered her on as she delivered the biggest speech of her life and they reacted with pride, determination, and some with tears.
- New Haiti case points to loopholes allowing cops to avoid disciplinary action video
- The case of two Quebec provincial police officers who retired before facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Haiti has exposed loopholes that allow some officers to dodge disciplinary action, critics say.
- New Pope Francis makes sombre visit to Auschwitz
- Pope Francis paid a sombre visit to the Nazi German death camp of Auschwitz-Birkenau Friday, becoming the third consecutive pontiff to make the pilgrimage to the place where Adolf Hitler's forces killed more than 1 million people, most of them Jews.
- Hillary Clinton says she would be president 'for all Americans' video
- Hillary Clinton, drawing a contrast with her Republican rival Donald Trump, promised to be strategic in foreign policy and inclusive in social and economic affairs in her nomination speech on Thursday night.
- Perseid meteor shower set to be extra-spectacular this year
- The summer's best shooting star show is expected be even better this year, thanks to an unusual "outburst" that only happens about once a decade and could double the number of meteors you'll spot.