I'm a stranger here myself
Will Everett's dispatch about becoming an unexpected guest at somebody else's dinner in India last week caught the attention of Peter Ottis in Ottawa.
It reminded (me) so much of my own experiences in Africa and the Middle East. Linguistic and cultural barriers all too often led to experiences like his... I often found myself in the middle of seemingly-endless meetings, or blindly following a city guide, completely confused at just what exactly I had gotten into. Thankfully, these experiences often lead to great stories that one can laugh about years later. Thanks for a great show.
Your letters. Our thanks. And do keep them coming to email@example.com
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated Taiwan earthquake kills 2, causes building to partially collapse
- A powerful quake struck southern Taiwan before dawn on Saturday near the city of Tainan, toppling a 17-story apartment building where more than 100 people are still feared trapped. Two people have so far been killed, including an infant girl, local TV reports said.
- Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, 6th man to walk on moon, dead at 85
- Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who became the sixth man on the moon when he and Alan Shepard helped NASA recover from Apollo 13's "successful failure" and later devoted his life to exploring the mind, physics and unexplained phenomena such as psychics and aliens, has died in Florida. He was 85.
- Toronto bride escorted to wedding by N.Y. firefighter after crane collapse
- Many brides cope with surprises on their wedding day, but Nesh Pillay was in for a doozy.
- U.S. economy adds 151,000 new jobs in January
- U.S. employers added 151,000 jobs in January, a deceleration from recent months as companies shed education, transportation and temporary workers but hired others in manufacturing, retail and food services.
- 4 things to know about Julian Assange after his UN win
- Here are four things you need to know about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's current situation, given the UN ruling in his favour Friday.