I'm a stranger here myself
Will Everett's dispatch about becoming an unexpected guest at somebody else's dinner in India last week caught the attention of Peter Ottis in Ottawa.
It reminded (me) so much of my own experiences in Africa and the Middle East. Linguistic and cultural barriers all too often led to experiences like his... I often found myself in the middle of seemingly-endless meetings, or blindly following a city guide, completely confused at just what exactly I had gotten into. Thankfully, these experiences often lead to great stories that one can laugh about years later. Thanks for a great show.
Your letters. Our thanks. And do keep them coming to firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Israel shoots down drone as more rockets fired from Lebanon video
- Israel's military says it has downed an unmanned drone along its southern coastline, the first time it has encountered such a weapon since its struggle with Gaza Strip militants began last week.
- Exclusive Attack on British embassy in Iran put Canadians on alert
- As protesters set fire to the U.K. embassy in Tehran in 2011, Canadian diplomats considered leaving Iran and debated what they could do for their British counterparts — including sheltering someone from the household of the U.K. ambassador.
- Analysis Can Brazil's Dilma Rousseff avoid her own World Cup-like meltdown?
- Often touted as one of the most powerful women in the world, Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff suddenly finds herself atop a souring economy and electorate with elections only months away. The dramatic way Brazil crashed out of the World Cup hasn't helped, Robert Muggah writes from Rio.
- World Cup: Violence mars Argentina's post-game celebrations video
- Riot police fired tear gas and rubber bullets late Sunday to restrain a group of vandals who disturbed a peaceful rally celebrating Argentina's gutsy performance in a 1-0 loss to Germany in the World Cup finals.
- Iran nuclear talks: Kerry to hold in-depth talks with top Iranian diplomat
- Secretary of State John Kerry will hold in-depth discussions Monday with Iran's top diplomat in a bid to advance faltering nuclear negotiations, with a deadline just days away for a comprehensive agreement.