Assam, India...childbirth can be deadly here
Freelance journalist Hanna Ingber Win's photos, from the tea gardens of Assam, India. Assam has India's highest maternal mortality rate. Hanna went there to interview families who'd lost their mothers, and health care workers who try to help pregnant mothers get the medical help they need.
Categories: Correspondents' Dispatches, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- In Depth Auschwitz liberation's 70th anniversary focuses on survivors video
- As the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazis' most notorious concentration camp approaches and survivors are dying, historians grapple with how to preserve the memory of the Holocaust.
- Greek election: Left-wing Syriza party wins but number of seats in question video
- A radical left-wing party that is demanding an end to Greece's painful austerity measures won Sunday's parliamentary elections, threatening renewed turmoil in global markets and throwing the country's continued membership in the eurozone into question.
- U.S. blizzard: New York braces for heavy snow as storms slam East Coast
- A "potentially historic" blizzard could dump 60 to 90 centimetres of snow on a large swath of the northeastern U.S., the National Weather Service said Sunday.
- U.K. reviews security after hoax call to David Cameron
- The British government said it was reviewing security procedures after a hoax caller claiming to be the director of Britain's GCHQ eavesdropping agency was put through to Prime Minister David Cameron on Sunday.
- Barack Obama to seek protecting Alaska Arctic refuge from drilling
- U.S. President Barack Obama will call on Congress to expand protection of Alaska's Arctic refuge where oil and gas drilling is prohibited to 12 million acres, an area that includes 1.4 million oil-rich acres along the coast.