Friday May 6, 2011
Jane French of Toronto shares this dispatch:
Greeting Rick and the Dispatches team:
Inspired by Rick's encouraging words to listeners to share our stories inspired by experiences in other countries, I respectfully submit the following personal essay based on a recent trip to India and the privilege of staying with our family (by marriage) in Tamil Nadu.
It was twenty years since our first visit to India and everyone wanted to know what was the biggest change?
Western-style toilets are more popular than two decades ago. The price of onions is way up. And auto rickshaws, trucks, motorbikes, buses and bullock carts now wrestle for space with SUVs and high-end imported cars. (continues...)
Read more »
Categories: Asia, Correspondents' Dispatches, Your Dispatches
Thursday June 17, 2010
Freelance journalist Hanna Ingber Win's photos, from the tea gardens of Assam, India. Assam has India's highest maternal mortality rate. Hanna went there to interview families who'd lost their mothers, and health care workers who try to help pregnant mothers get the medical help they need.
Categories: Correspondents' Dispatches, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Donations pour into Planned Parenthood thanks to Mike Pence
- Donations to Planned Parenthood surged in the month since the U.S. election as supporters of the health care and abortion provider try to make a point — many of them making their donations in the name of incoming vice-president Mike Pence.
- Analysis It may be 'foolish' to ignore Trump's tweets, even when they look like 'fluff'
- Everything the U.S. president-elect does, says and writes now matters. Unless it doesn't, say media critics, amid a debate over whether the world can afford to tune out tweets by Donald Trump.
- Nearly 150 patients evacuated from east Aleppo
- Nearly 150 civilians, most disabled or in need of urgent medical care, are evacuated from a hospital in Aleppo's Old City, the first major evacuation from the eastern sector.
- Breaking 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off north coast of California
- A 6.8 magnitude earthquake strikes roughly 165 kilometres off the north coast of California.
- Giraffes threatened by extinction, put on watch list
- The giraffe, the tallest land animal, is now at risk of extinction, biologists say.