Friday May 6, 2011
Jane French of Toronto shares this dispatch:
Greeting Rick and the Dispatches team:
Inspired by Rick's encouraging words to listeners to share our stories inspired by experiences in other countries, I respectfully submit the following personal essay based on a recent trip to India and the privilege of staying with our family (by marriage) in Tamil Nadu.
It was twenty years since our first visit to India and everyone wanted to know what was the biggest change?
Western-style toilets are more popular than two decades ago. The price of onions is way up. And auto rickshaws, trucks, motorbikes, buses and bullock carts now wrestle for space with SUVs and high-end imported cars. (continues...)
Read more »
Categories: Asia, Correspondents' Dispatches, Your Dispatches
Thursday June 17, 2010
Freelance journalist Hanna Ingber Win's photos, from the tea gardens of Assam, India. Assam has India's highest maternal mortality rate. Hanna went there to interview families who'd lost their mothers, and health care workers who try to help pregnant mothers get the medical help they need.
Categories: Correspondents' Dispatches, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated Presidential debate: Clinton and Trump clash on economy, trade video
- Democrat Hillary Clinton went on the attack against Republican Donald Trump at the start of the first one-on-one U.S. presidential debate on Monday, accusing him of pushing economic policy that favoured the rich at the expense of the middle class.
- Live Blog Watch Clinton and Trump face off in 1st presidential debate
- Analysis, fact checks and up-to-the-minute debate coverage as Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump face off
- Private meeting at UN between Trudeau team and Omani officials led to Hoodfar's release by Iran video
- A quiet meeting just off the main floor of the United Nations General Assembly may have been the turning point in Canada’s attempts to secure the release of Homa Hoodfar from a prison in Iran.
- World powers admit political solution to Syrian war might not be possible: Derek Stoffel
- As the bombs continue to fall on Aleppo, a new reality is descending on Syria: the long-held belief that the conflict there will only end with a political solution might not hold true.
- 'Disgruntled' lawyer behind Houston shooting spree that injured 9 people
- Six people are in hospital after a gunman opened fire near a Houston, Texas, shopping centre early Monday morning — firing randomly at passersby and commuters before he was shot and killed by police. Three others suffered minor injuries.