Santa, Peru buries death-squad victims
Maribel Barrientos cries during the funeral procession for her two brothers in Peru, killed by death squads 19 years ago. (Photo/Mattia Cabitza)
Requiem after 19 years
A sombre funeral erupts in heartfelt
applause, when mourners came to honor a group of men killed by death squads in 1992.
It was a time when guerillas were clashing with the government, and civilians were targetted by both sides.
The country's Truth And Reconciliation Commission estimates 70,000 people simply...disappeared. As mass graves emerge, the dead are finally embraced, as we hear from Mattia Cabitza, from Santa, Peru.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Cuba-U.S. détente: 10 questions video
- The U. S. and Cuba announced major changes to their relationship on Wednesday, the most significant changes since diplomatic ties broke off in 1961. The new agreement affects travel, commerce and government relations, and has been in the works for more than a year. Here's what you need to know.
- U.S. Fed says it can be 'patient' on rate hike video
- The U.S. Federal Reserve has left its key benchmark interest rate unchanged, but altered its language regarding a rate hike, saying it will be "patient" in determining when to raise rates.
- South Carolina admits error in executing black teen in 1944
- More than 70 years after South Carolina sent a 14-year-old black boy to the electric chair in the killings of two white girls in a segregated mill town, a judge threw out the conviction, saying the state committed a great injustice.
- CNN's #AskACop hashtag backfires spectacularly
- In an attempt to solicit audience questions for a TV panel of police officers, CNN was promoting the hashtag #AskACop on Twitter for much of Tuesday. The hashtag is still trending across the U.S., but this is no social media success story.
- Cuba, U.S. to restore diplomatic relations after 50-year rift video
- President Barack Obama today outlined some steps his administration will take to normalize full diplomatic relations with Cuba, marking the most significant shift in U.S. policy toward the communist island in decades.