Santa, Peru buries death-squad victims
Maribel Barrientos cries during the funeral procession for her two brothers in Peru, killed by death squads 19 years ago. (Photo/Mattia Cabitza)
Requiem after 19 years
A sombre funeral erupts in heartfelt
applause, when mourners came to honor a group of men killed by death squads in 1992.
It was a time when guerillas were clashing with the government, and civilians were targetted by both sides.
The country's Truth And Reconciliation Commission estimates 70,000 people simply...disappeared. As mass graves emerge, the dead are finally embraced, as we hear from Mattia Cabitza, from Santa, Peru.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- New Partisan Twitter bots distorting U.S. presidential candidates' popularity
- It may sound a bit childish, but bot (automated) Twitter accounts like @loserDonldTrump and thousands of others are changing the conversations around this election. They might even be changing minds.
- CBC IN SYRIA Freedom in Jarabulus: Syrian border town rebuilds post-ISIS video
- Liberated from ISIS, thousands of refugees are returning to what is left of Jarabulus, Syria, which neighbouring Turkey is helping to rebuild. The Turkish government takes CBC News on a tour of the town.
- CBC in CALAIS Uncertainty reigns as Calais 'jungle' refugee camp closure looms video
- French authorities are about to dismantle the sprawling, squalid migrant camp in Calais, but it's unclear what will happen to the thousands of people who've been staying there.
- Analysis Trump's refusal to say he'll accept election results fuel for supporters' agitation: Keith Boag video
- In the third and final debate in the U.S. presidential campaign, Donald Trump once again hinted he could fight a transfer of power to the Democrats if he loses the November vote.
- Iraqi special forces join battle for Mosul video
- Iraqi special forces charge into the Mosul battle with a predawn advance on a nearby town held by ISIS, a key part of a multi-pronged assault on eastern approaches to the besieged city.