L.A.'s Father Dollar Bill dies at 92
Maurice Chase, gave cash to poor
Father Maurice Chase (a.k.a. Dollar Bill) was a featured personality in Jennifer Westaway's documentary on L.A.'s homeless, Scrapping Over Scraps
CBC's Jennifer Westaway's piece on homelessness in Los Angeles won Amnesty International Canada's audio/video media award for 2006. She looked at how the second-largest city in America is, in the words of the its own mayor, the capital of homelessness in America, and why it includes so many African-Americans
Father Maurice Chase was known for handing out dollar bills on Los Angeles' skid row, caring more about the gift of human love than about what his beneficiaries did with the money.
Elaine Woo remembers him in the Los Angeles Times
November 23 2011
Nearly every Sunday morning, Thanksgiving and Christmas for almost three decades, the man they called Father Dollar Bill, Father Dollar or just D.B. for Dollar Bill showed up on a skid row sidewalk. He was a white-haired man in a red sweater and a Notre Dame cap, his pockets jammed with crisp green bills, which he patiently handed out until the money was gone.
The complete article can be viewed at:
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- In Depth Boko Haram kidnapping survivors look to the future with hope
- Three young women who escaped a Boko Haram kidnapping in Nigeria speak with CBC News about faith, forgiveness and their dreams for the future.
- Chinese cruise ship sinks in Yangtze River with 458 aboard, rescue continues video
- Divers on Tuesday pulled three people alive from inside a capsized cruise ship and prepared to rescue at least four more, Chinese state broadcaster CCTV said, giving some small hope to an apparently massive tragedy with well over 400 people still missing on the Yangtze River.
- Mohammed Morsi death sentence postponed for 2 weeks by Egypt court
- An Egyptian court postpones the death sentencing of the country's first freely elected president, as two senior Muslim Brotherhood leaders were arrested Tuesday.
- Greece pitches payback plan to its European creditors
- Greece has submitted a proposal for an agreement with its bailout creditors, the prime minister said Tuesday, as the country seeks a deal that will unlock desperately needed rescue money.
- New Deadly waterway disasters of the 21st century
- Here are a few of the worst disasters on waterways around the world in recent years.