Famine aid: giving cash instead of food
Abdoulai Mohamed counting the cash to be handed out to victims of the drought in Loruth, Kenya. Photo/Anjali Nayar
Cash for Kenyans
In drought-stricken Kenya, there's this pregnant woman who walks for kilometres every day, seeking ways to feed her family. And there are millions like her at risk of famine.
And now, one western aid group operating there is adding to the traditional approaches to foreign assistance. It's taken to handing out cash.
That's a bit of a departure from the usual goals of funding sustainable development because it lets the needy decide how to spend it, as we hear from Dispatches contributor Anjali Nayar in a village on Kenya's northern border.
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Syria al-Qaeda group runs secrets prisons, Amnesty says
- A leading international watchdog accuses an al-Qaeda-linked rebel group that controls large parts of northern Syria of running secret prisons in which torture and summary killings are common.
- Putin: Russia's $15B Ukraine bailout not linked to EU talks
- Russian President Vladimir Putin says Russia's $15-billion US bailout for Ukraine is driven by a desire to help a partner in a desperate situation and isn't linked to its talks with the European Union.
- South Sudan violence continues, military loses rural state capital
- South Sudan's military said Thursday it no longer controlled a key town in a rural state where fighting has spread in the aftermath of what the government says was an attempted coup mounted by soldiers loyal to a former deputy president.
- Obama's Sochi Olympics delegation includes 2 gay athletes video
- U.S. President Barack Obama has picked two openly gay athletes to be part of the U.S. delegation at the Sochi Games, a move widely seen as a rebuke of Russia's anti-gay laws, and he'll be skipping the event.
- Analysis American conservatives take aim at the 'war on Christmas'
- A Fox News rant that Santa Claus is white and "so was Jesus" is rekindling America's culture wars, and doesn't reflect today's realities about either Christmas or a changing U.S., Neil Macdonald writes.