China's surfer girl goes global
Darci Liu, China's Surfer Girl, on Hainan Island (photo/Danielle Nerman)
Darci Liu is one of China's only female competitive surfers, in a country where most people avoid the sun, and many are afraid of the surf.
Now Darci has just learned she's going to represent China for the first time ever in top-tier international competition, in a long-board surfing event run by the Association of Surfing Professionals (the ASP) in late October.
A few months ago Canadian journalist Danielle Nerman took to the beach on Hainan Island, to find out why Darci is so taken with surfing.
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Video Income tax, ISIS facts and 'stamina': Key Clinton-Trump debate moments video
- Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican nominee Donald Trump engaged in their first one-on-one debate Monday night at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. Here are some of the key moments from the highly-anticipated showdown.
- CBC IN PARIS 'Back to the street': France's unimagined and unimaginable migrant crisis
- One hundred thousand asylum seekers have made their way to France in 2016, a country now playing catchup with what some say was a foreseeable crisis, Michelle Gagnon writes from Paris.
- Analysis The 'change' candidate can't change his ways in 1st debate video
- Everyone, even Donald Trump, knew Hillary Clinton would try to get under his skin and lure him off message and down the rabbit hole of his vanity, and yet the Republican candidate couldn't resist the bait for the entire duration of Monday's debate.
- Most people worldwide breathe polluted air, WHO warns
- Ninety-two per cent of people live in areas where air quality exceeds WHO limits, with southeast Asia, eastern Mediterranean and western Pacific regions hardest hit.
- Updated NYC house explosion kills firefighter, injures 6
- A firefighter who responded to a report of a gas leak at a home is killed when the residence explodes shortly after authorities discover a possible drug lab there.