China's surfer girl goes global
Darci Liu, China's Surfer Girl, on Hainan Island (photo/Danielle Nerman)
Darci Liu is one of China's only female competitive surfers, in a country where most people avoid the sun, and many are afraid of the surf.
Now Darci has just learned she's going to represent China for the first time ever in top-tier international competition, in a long-board surfing event run by the Association of Surfing Professionals (the ASP) in late October.
A few months ago Canadian journalist Danielle Nerman took to the beach on Hainan Island, to find out why Darci is so taken with surfing.
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- In Malawi, people with albinism facing risk of 'systemic extinction,' UN envoy says
- People with albinism in Malawi are at risk of "systemic extinction" due to relentless attacks fuelled by superstitions, the United Nations' top expert on albinism said this week during her first official visit in her new role.
- Iraq protesters leave Baghdad's Green Zone after ISIS bomb attacks video
- Anti-government protesters disbanded at least temporarily Sunday from Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone they had stormed a day earlier after ISIS carried out its second major attack in Iraq in as many days — a pair of car bombs that killed more than 30 people.
- May Day marked by demonstrations around the world
- Trade unions and other groups are staging rallies around the world to mark International Workers Day.
- Obama drops mic: Trudeau gets off easy in last White House roast video
- Barack Obama didn't hold back during his final White House correspondents' dinner. Here are five of his best Washington-targeted zingers.
- Suspected ISIS bomber kills 2 police in southeast Turkey: sources
- Two police officers were killed and 22 people wounded in a suicide car bomb attack in the southeastern Turkish city of Gaziantep, the governor and police sources said. It was one of three attacks on security forces Sunday.