China's surfer girl goes global
Darci Liu, China's Surfer Girl, on Hainan Island (photo/Danielle Nerman)
Darci Liu is one of China's only female competitive surfers, in a country where most people avoid the sun, and many are afraid of the surf.
Now Darci has just learned she's going to represent China for the first time ever in top-tier international competition, in a long-board surfing event run by the Association of Surfing Professionals (the ASP) in late October.
A few months ago Canadian journalist Danielle Nerman took to the beach on Hainan Island, to find out why Darci is so taken with surfing.
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Updated Trump visiting Mexico ahead of immigration speech
- In a surprise move, Donald Trump will travel to Mexico today to meet with President Enrique Pena Nieto, just hours before the Republican delivers a highly anticipated speech on immigration.
- Analysis With eyes on the ball, it's been a Putin kind of year in Mideast: Nahlah Ayed
- As Russia and Turkey prepare to face each other in a friendly match on the soccer field tonight, it’s clear Putin has positioned himself as a key player in the Middle East.
- Analysis Order for Apple to pay billions in back taxes is good for almost everyone: Don Pittis
- Apple hoped the big news this week would be its coming iPhone launch. Instead, billions of euros in unpaid taxes get the headlines. And no matter the final result, the attention is painful but necessary.
- Analysis U.S. welcomed its 10,000th Syrian refugee. Time to extend the goalpost?
- To hear the White House announce it this week, it was a major achievement. But the per capita number of Syrian refugees accepted in the U.S. remains modest compared to goals set by other nations — even compared to the target Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has in mind.
- The crazy quest to send spaceships to an Earth-like planet at Alpha Centauri
- Scientists recently announced they had found an Earth-like planet in the star system next door. What will it take to send spacecraft there? And how close are we?