China's surfer girl goes global
Darci Liu, China's Surfer Girl, on Hainan Island (photo/Danielle Nerman)
Darci Liu is one of China's only female competitive surfers, in a country where most people avoid the sun, and many are afraid of the surf.
Now Darci has just learned she's going to represent China for the first time ever in top-tier international competition, in a long-board surfing event run by the Association of Surfing Professionals (the ASP) in late October.
A few months ago Canadian journalist Danielle Nerman took to the beach on Hainan Island, to find out why Darci is so taken with surfing.
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Live Donald Trump sworn in as president: Watch CBC's live coverage here
- Donald Trump was sworn in today as U.S. president before a massive crowd including his wife, Melania, and their family, outgoing leader Barack Obama and several former leaders. Follow CBC correspondents on Capitol Hill and around the world as the new U.S. presidency begins.
- Analysis How history could make strange bedfellows of Obama and Trump: Keith Boag
- There might come a day when Obama will be grateful it was Trump and not a purebred Republican who became the custodian of his legacy, Keith Boag writes.
- Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' faces life sentence in U.S. prison
- Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman will spend the rest of his life in a U.S. prison if convicted on charges he ran the world's largest drug-trafficking organization during a decades-long criminal career, U.S. prosecutors said on Friday.
- Rescuers in Italy pull 2 children, 8 other survivors from hotel rubble video
- A firefighter says 10 people, including two children, have been found alive in the debris of a hotel levelled by an avalanche in Italy earlier this week.
- Live Protesters greet Donald Trump inauguration video
- Black-clad activists protesting U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's inauguration smashed store and car windows in Washington on Friday and fought with police in riot gear who responded with pepper spray and stun grenades.