Congo's pygmies: from the forest to the suburbs
Dennis Porter gets an archery lesson from Congolese pygmies who have left the forest for squalid camps near the city of Beni. Photo/Dennis Porter
To say the pygmies of central Africa got a raw deal is an understatement. Civil war has forced them out of their ancient forest homes and plunged them unprepared into the 21st century.
For all that, they remain relentlessly cheerful, despite hardly having a pot to pitch in, as our correspondent discovers.
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated North Korea praises launch that others see as covert missile test
- North Korea defies international warnings and launches a long-range rocket that the United Nations and others call a cover for a banned test of technology for a missile that could strike the U.S. mainland.
- Austria avalanche sweeps away 17, killing 5
- Five Czech skiers were killed in a huge avalanche that swept away their group of 17 in the Austrian skiing region of Tyrol on Saturday, police say.
- Updated Republican debaters attack Marco Rubio as inexperienced, Ted Cruz as unethical
- Marco Rubio, a first-term senator on the rise in the presidential race, faced a barrage of attacks in Saturday night's Republican debate, with rivals vigorously challenging his readiness to be president and depth of his policy expertise as they sought to salvage their own White House hopes.
- Taiwan earthquake kills 18, more than 130 trapped video
- Rescuers in Taiwan pulled a young man alive from a collapsed apartment tower on Sunday more than 24 hours after a strong earthquake shook the island, and kept searching for more than 130 people believed trapped in the ruins of the building.
- Toronto bride wed by trailblazing NYC Fire Dept. chaplain amid fatal crane collapse
- When a bride-to-be from Toronto found herself stranded on a New York City street amid the chaos of a fatal crane collapse, a trailblazing chaplain from the local fire department came to her rescue.