Radio's eyes, The Human Kind Of Eye
Ewa Scheer of Montreal writes:
Dear Mr. MacInnes-Rae,
Recently, my husband and my son heard a very moving story on CBC radio. As they were relating the story to me, I saw tears in their eyes. I am referring to the story of Rosa Gomez and Antonio Savone aired on Dispatches March 10, 2011. As I then also listened to the program, I could not help but feel despair and a sense of how cruel humans can be. There are so many stories of suffering. I've never experienced such cruelty but I grew up watching my mother struggle to free herself from memories of WWII in Warsaw. But seeing how the suffering of others touched my 13-years-old son brought relief. I wanted to thank you for bringing to light people's struggles. It is so important to us to know regardless how painful it is.
I also wanted to ask if you might be able to help me in a project I am undertaking. I am an artist and for last few years I've been working on series of pencil drawings devoted to the human eye. The series is titled The Human Kind of Eye. Ewa's website
Ewa Sheer's The First Eye, pencil drawing.
It was inspired by the experience of witnessing ophthalmological examinations of the eyes. While looking into the patients' eyes with a slit lamp, I found the iris magnificent and the pupil, dark and pulsating, almost frightening. In the series, I draw the eyes of the young and old, of women and men, of those recognized for their achievements and those just beginning life. In a world preoccupied with consumption, novelty and fame for fame's sake, the eyes in the drawings speak of humility, humanity and beauty.
A year ago Anton Kuerti agreed to allow me to draw his eye as the first of the series. I am very impressed by Anton Kuerti not only by his incredible achievements but also by his humility. It takes humility for a man of his stature to agree to collaborate with an unknown artist on a project in which the portrait is only of his eye. I am also now in contact with Elizabeth and Romeo Dallaire and in process of acquiring permission to draw their eyes.
I thought that the heart wrenching story of Rosa and Antonio's torture and how the eye contact was what sustained them had an incredibly powerful message. I would love to include drawings of Antonio's and Rosa's eyes in my series.
Sincere regards, Ewa Scheer
Curently exhibiting Beautiful Organ at Studio 22 Open Gallery in Kingston, Ontario
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN CALAIS France starts to evict people from Calais 'jungle' refugee camp video
- French authorities begin dismantling the refugee camp outside of Calais that's sometimes known as "the jungle." But the future is unclear for the estimated 9,000 people living there.
- Trump Hotels to use Scion brand for new hotels, not Trump
- The Trump name is likely to be everywhere for the next 14 days, with one notable exception: it won't be associated with any new hotels owned by the Republican presidential candidate's eponymous company.
- Texas baby 'born twice' in rare surgery
- A baby is born for the second time at a Texas hospital, 12 weeks after having surgery to remove a tumour.
- Iraq government investigating airstrike on mosque that left 13 dead
- Iraqi forces shelled Islamic State positions outside Mosul on Monday as fighting to retake the extremist-held city entered its second week. A rights group, meanwhile, urged a probe into a suspected airstrike last week that mistakenly hit a mosque, killing over a dozen civilians.
- U.S. movie theatre chain to host election night broadcast
- AMC Theatres has partnered with CNN to broadcast the Nov. 8 presidential election on the big screen at 50 theatres in 25 cities nationwide.