The screwy Saudi security syndrome
Dispatches host Rick MacInnes-Rae remembers a Saudi man in flowing robes approaching him in the street and said the house across the square is headquarters to the notorious Abu Nidal, at the time a wanted terrorist:
"Then he asked if I had any whisky. Screwy moments like that are, frankly, one of the perqs of being a correspondent."
Laura Lynch, at her home base in Britain.
And for a female correspondent working Saudi Arabia, the stories can be considerably weirder, especially in a time of unrest, like now, as we hear in this week's guest essay from the CBC's Laura Lynch.
Categories: Middle East, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis The 'change' candidate can't change his ways in 1st debate video
- Everyone, even Donald Trump, knew Hillary Clinton would try to get under his skin and lure him off message and down the rabbit hole of his vanity, and yet the Republican candidate couldn't resist the bait for the entire duration of Monday's debate.
- CBC IN PARIS 'Back to the street': France's unimagined and unimaginable migrant crisis
- One hundred thousand asylum seekers have made their way to France in 2016, a country now playing catchup with what some say was a foreseeable crisis, Michelle Gagnon writes from Paris.
- COMING UP LIVE Elon Musk to outline his plans for Mars mission
- SpaceX CEO Elon Musk is in Mexico today and will update the world on his plans to colonize Mars in a talk at 2:30 p.m. ET.
- Wells Fargo may claw back some executive pay: report
- The board of directors of Wells Fargo & Co. is reported to be considering clawing back some of the millions of dollars in pay to some of its top executives.
- Video Income tax, ISIS facts and 'stamina': Key Clinton-Trump debate moments video
- Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican nominee Donald Trump engaged in their first one-on-one debate Monday night at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. Here are some of the key moments from the highly-anticipated showdown.