Monrovia...following the news from Libya here
Monrovians read the news on the "Daily Talk" newspaper/blackboard.(Photo/Prue Clarke)
In the West African country of Liberia, people are turning to a blackboard to find out the latest news about the rebellions against Libyan president Moammar Gadhafi.
And in the capital Monrovia, Kagumire writes, the Daily Talk is the way they find out more about it:
In Monrovia, Daily Talk, a street news blackboard, offers Liberians news about Gaddafi. The people on the street pay much attention here because of Gaddafi's role in the Liberian civil war. Cllr. Jerome J. Verdier , the former chairman of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) in Liberia issued a statement a few days ago saying the massacre of protesters in Libya reminded the people of Liberia of the killings that Gaddafi had much hand in as he supported President Charles Taylor during the civil war.
In January, 2010, Dispatches aired a documentary from contributor Prue Clarke about the Daily Talk, the blackboards that provide daily news to so many people in Monrovia.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- London attack victim's widow speaks of 'our future together' video
- The family of the young British soldier who was killed in a brutal daytime slaying spoke at a press conference on Friday, including his widow who talked about their plans for the future.
- Russia says Assad regime willing to attend Syria peace talks
- The Syrian government has agreed "in principle" to attend a conference proposed by Russia and the United States on ending the country's civil war, Russia's Foreign Ministry say. However, Damascus has not issued a definitive statement on the talks.
- new Washington police blame bridge collapse on Alberta trucker video audio
- Washington State police say an Alberta trucker was responsible for hitting a steel beam precipitating a bridge collapse on one of the busiest routes in the American northwest.
- 3D printing of airway tube helps save U.S. baby
- In a medical first, doctors used plastic particles and a 3D laser printer to create an airway splint to save the life of a baby boy who used to stop breathing nearly every day.
- updated Airbus lands safely at Heathrow with engine smoking video
- A British Airways jet made an emergency landing at London's Heathrow Airport Friday after developing a technical problem after takeoff. TV footage showed smoke streaming from one of the engines.