Urumqi, China..underground music here
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west: the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, in the Feb 17 Dispatches program
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC in Italy Survivors of Italian quake take stock of loved ones and property lost
- Survivors in the small hilltop towns and villages in central Italy devastated by Wednesday's earthquake are beginning to take stock of the loss, with neighbours exchanging heartbreaking news of friends and relatives killed in the magnitude 6.2 quake.
- Analysis 'The battle of ideas begins': Why the deal to end Colombia's 5-decade war is no guarantee of easy peace
- As much as the deal to end Colombia's five-decade war has been cheered in the South American country, the accord is also extremely controversial because the FARC rebel group is so widely despised, John Otis writes from Bogota.
- Aftershocks rattle Italian quake zone; toll rises to 250
- Aftershocks in central Italy rattle residents and rescue workers, as crews work to find more earthquake survivors and the country anguished over its repeated failure to protect ancient towns and modern cities from seismic catastrophes.
- World's first self-driving taxis start taking passengers video
- The world's first self-driving taxis will be picking up passengers in Singapore starting Thursday.
- Canadian among the dead in Italy's earthquake
- A Canadian citizen is among the dead in the devastating earthquake in Italy that killed at least 250 people yesterday, Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion says.