Urumqi, China..underground music here
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west: the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, in the Feb 17 Dispatches program
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- North Korea attempts missile launch, unsuccessfully, according to the South
- A North Korean missile launch likely failed on Tuesday, according to South Korea's military, the latest in a string of high-profile failures that tempers somewhat recent worries that Pyongyang was pushing quickly toward its goal of a nuclear-tipped missile that can reach America's mainland.
- Bernie Sanders shielded by security as protesters try to reach stage
- A group of animal rights activists briefly interrupted a Bernie Sanders rally in Northern California when they jumped barricades and tried to rush the podium.
- Drowned baby picture captures week of tragedy in Mediterranean
- WARNING: This story contains disturbing details. A photograph of a drowned migrant baby in the arms of a German rescuer is distributed by a humanitarian organization aiming to persuade European authorities to ensure safe passage to migrants.
- The Bible has been translated into emoji for millennials
- At long last, people between the ages of 16 and 35 can now understand the "bestselling book of all time" thanks to an emoji translation of the Bible.
- Cincinnati zookeeper defends decision to shoot gorilla video
- Cincinnati Zoo director Thane Maynard responded Monday to critics of the zoo's decision to shoot a gorilla that was dragging around a small human child. "We live in the real world, we make real decisions," he said at a news conference.