Urumqi, China..underground music here
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west: the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, in the Feb 17 Dispatches program
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Ebola spreads to Senegal after student evades health monitors video
- A university student infected with Ebola evaded health surveillance for weeks as he slipped into Senegal, carrying the deadly virus to a fifth West African nation showing how quarantines, border closures and flight bans have failed to contain the outbreak.
- 'Sailing rocks' mystery of Death Valley solved
- A team of scientists say they believe they have solved the mystery of how hundreds of rocks slide mysteriously across a dry lake in Death Valley, Calif.
- NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen urges Canada to boost defence spending audio
- On the eve of next week's NATO Summit in Wales, the alliance's outgoing Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen tells CBC Radio's The House an 'unstable security environment' means member countries like Canada must increase defence spending and help the alliance adapt to 'profound' changes.
- Analysis Beijing's 'knock-on-the-door' warning to Hong Kong's democracy movement
- Some of the moves seem like a scene straight out of "The Godfather," Patrick Brown writes. A fake obit, a visit from the corruption police. One thing that's clear: Beijing has no intention of ceding ground to Hong Kong's growing democracy movement.
- UN peacekeepers detained in Syria believed to be in 'good health'
- The plight of dozens of UN peacekeepers in Syria remained "very, very fluid" Friday, the secretary-general's spokesman said, as talks aimed at their release stretched into a second day.