Urumqi, China..underground music here
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west: the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, in the Feb 17 Dispatches program
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 pilots' lives scrutinized, picture emerges video
- As speculation intensifies that the missing Malaysia Airlines plane might have been commandeered by someone with aviation skills, a picture begins to emerge of two pilots described as respectable, community-minded men.
- Analysis How the West made a hash of the Afghan war: Brian Stewart
- With Canada (gone), NATO (packing up) and maybe even the U.S. pulling out almost entirely later this year, Afghanistan's future looks pretty bleak. But then so was the last almost 13 years, Brian Stewart writes.
- Ukraine crisis: U.S. won't recognize Crimea vote, Kerry says video
- Washington and the international community won't recognize the outcome of Sunday's referendum in Crimea on seceding from Ukraine, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday after six hours of talks with Russia's foreign minister.
- Analysis Crimean referendum highlights region's fractured identity
- On Sunday, Crimeans will vote on whether to leave Ukraine and join Russia. Given the majority-Russian population in the region, it's expected Crimea will vote to join Russia, but other groups, such as the Crimean Tatars, are worried about what it will mean for their futures.
- Photos Holi 2014, Hindu Festival of Colours
- The Hindu spring festival of colours is observed in India at the end of winter on the last full moon of the lunar month and will be celebrated on March 16 this year. Here's a look at the festival already underway.