Urumqi, China..underground music here
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west: the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, in the Feb 17 Dispatches program
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Defeated Gambian leader Yahya Jammeh made off with government money, luxury cars
- Exiled Gambian ruler Yahya Jammeh stole millions of dollars in his final weeks in power, plundering the state coffers and shipping out luxury vehicles by cargo plane, a special adviser for the new president said Sunday.
- Trump vows federal help as storm, tornadoes rip through southeastern U.S., killing 16
- A dangerous weekend weather system has killed at least 16 people in the U.S. South. U.S. President Donald Trump has pledged federal assistance for the affected areas, and Georgia has declared a state of emergency.
- Netanyahu to meet with Trump before calling vote on West Bank annexation
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu delayed a vote Sunday on an explosive proposal to annex one of the West Bank's largest settlements, apparently to co-ordinate his policy toward the Palestinians with the new administration of U.S. President Donald Trump.
- Trump overstates inauguration crowd as Women's March appears to draw bigger turnout video
- There were strong signs across the U.S. that the number of people who attended the Women's March on Washington on Saturday topped those who gathered on Friday to watch U.S. President Donald Trump's inauguration.
- 'He wants Americans to love him': Trump biographers on what kind of president he'll be
- Donald Trump's need for approval as well as his insecurities over his intellect and wealth offer insight into how he'll act as U.S. president, say two of his biographers.