Urumqi, China..underground music here
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west: the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, in the Feb 17 Dispatches program
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Barack Obama says no one more qualified than Hillary Clinton to be president video
- Barack Obama took to the stage for his final Democratic convention as a sitting president, saying he was "more optimistic about the future of America than ever before," and that Hillary Clinton was eminently qualified to be the next U.S. president.
- Analysis 'I am really afraid now': Violent attacks rattle European nerves
- Europeans are on edge after six violent attacks in France and Germany over the past two weeks, the CBC's Derek Stoffel writes.
- 'She had a strong drive': How high school made Hillary Clinton a presidential contender video
- As Hillary Clinton takes on the U.S. Democratic Party's nomination for president, high school classmates from Park Ridge, Ill., recall a young woman with drive and ambition coming of age at a time of change for all women.
- New Quebec police retire before hearings over alleged sexual misconduct in Haiti
- Two Quebec police officers accused of sex-related breaches while working as United Nations peacekeepers in Haiti have retired before facing any disciplinary action, raising fresh questions about Canada's ability to hold its peacekeepers accountable.
- Updated Obama gives optimistic speech at Democratic National Convention video
- President Barack Obama painted an optimistic picture of America's future in a rousing speech on Wednesday that offered full-hearted support to Hillary Clinton in her campaign to defeat Republican Donald Trump and become the first woman elected U.S. president.