Lampedusa Island...Tunisian refugees land here
The uprising in Tunisia is spilling refugees onto the shores around it.
Megan Williams meets some, on the Italian island of Lampedusa, a hundred kilometres east of Tunisia -- from the Feb 17 Dispatches radio program.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Avalanche destroys Italian hotel, 3 bodies found and over 2 dozen missing video
- More than two dozen people are believed to be buried under snow and debris, and three bodies have been found, after an avalanche plowed into a luxury mountain hotel in central Italy following a series of earthquakes. A couple of men who were outside the hotel were found alive.
- CBC IN CHINA In the Year of the Rooster, China's leadership sizes up Trump
- Leaders in China wonder whether they should take the incoming U.S. president's pronouncements seriously, writes Sasa Petricic.
- 'Sometimes they're poignant moments': inauguration day transfers between presidents video
- Before he takes the oath of office Friday, Donald Trump will sit down with President Barack Obama for a traditional tea-or-coffee meeting and share a carpool ride to the Capitol — quaint rituals for two men with such a long, public rivalry.
- Iran says 30 Tehran firefighters killed as burning highrise collapses video
- A highrise building in Tehran engulfed by a fire collapsed on Thursday, killing at least 30 firefighters and injuring roughly 75 people, state media reported.
- Steven Mnuchin, Trump's treasury nominee, grilled by Senate about banking record
- U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's choice for treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, defends his banking record in the aftermath of the financial crisis, and Energy Department nominee Rick Perry faces questions about creating jobs in the energy industry during Senate hearings in Washington, D.C.