Kingi, Congo...feared former rebels in the army here
CBC's Stephen Puddicombe climbs a mountain to a village beset by former rebel soldiers, now in the national army. The DRC recruits former rebels, in an attempt to pacify them. That's been mostly successful. In many cases though, Stephen reported on the Dispatches Feb 17 program, it is not. Stephen's full documentary
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Gay rights rally in Moscow leads to 20 arrests
- Police broke up an unsanctioned gay rights rally in Moscow Saturday, detaining around 20 people.
- Sepp Blatter, FIFA president, dismisses corruption investigation
- Invigorated by his FIFA election win, Sepp Blatter dismissed any suggestion Saturday that the American investigation into soccer corruption could yet lead to his door.
- India heat wave: Sizzling temperatures persist in worst-hit states
- Showers and thunderstorms have eased sizzling summer temperatures in southern India, where a weekslong heat wave has claimed nearly 2,000 lives. But the scorching temperatures are expected to continue in two of the worst-hit states.
- Japan earthquake: Magnitude 8.5 quake strikes off east coast, injuring 2
- A powerful earthquake struck near remote Japanese islands and shook most of the country Saturday evening, but it occurred well beneath the earth's surface and did not trigger a tsunami warning. Two people suffered non-life-threatening injuries, and there were no reports of major damage.
- Migrants to Europe: 4,200 more migrants saved off Libya's coasts
- The Italian coast guard says it has coordinated the rescue of more than 4,000 migrants off Libya's coast in 22 separate operations.