Kingi, Congo...feared former rebels in the army here
CBC's Stephen Puddicombe climbs a mountain to a village beset by former rebel soldiers, now in the national army. The DRC recruits former rebels, in an attempt to pacify them. That's been mostly successful. In many cases though, Stephen reported on the Dispatches Feb 17 program, it is not. Stephen's full documentary
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Crimean referendum highlights region's fractured identity
- On Sunday, Crimeans will vote on whether to leave Ukraine and join Russia. Given the majority-Russian population in the region, it's expected Crimea will vote to join Russia, but other groups, such as the Crimean Tatars, are worried about what it will mean for their futures.
- Analysis How the West made a hash of the Afghan war
- With Canada (gone), NATO (packing up) and maybe even the U.S. pulling out almost entirely later this year, Afghanistan's future looks pretty bleak. But then so was the last almost 13 years, Brian Stewart writes.
- New York City gas explosion: Rescuers search through rubble
- Workers searching a pile of rubble from a gas explosion are using sound devices to probe for voices and telescopic cameras to peer into small spaces.
- Tony Benn, devoted British socialist, dies at 88
- Tony Benn, a committed British socialist who irritated, fascinated — and bored — Britons through a political career spanning more than five decades and who renounced his aristocratic title rather than leave the House of Commons, has died. He was 88.
- New Oscar Pistorius murder trial: witness reviews crime scene photos
- Prosecutors at the Oscar Pistorius murder trial are showing photographs from the bloody scene where the athlete fatally shot his girlfriend.