Ladino: The Jewish music of Spain sung here
Isareli singer Yasmin Levy's father preserved Ladino folk songs from Spain which she is re-styling for new audiences. Photo/Ali Taskiran
Ladino is the music Jews took with them when they were expelled from Spain in 1492. It's finding new audiences, thanks to artists like Yasmin Levy.
Thanks to Dispatches contributor Maria Bakkalapulo in Glasgow at the Celtic Connections music festival.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Japan mourns reported death of ISIS hostage Kenji Goto video
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is vowing that Japan will not give in to terrorism. His statement follows the release of a video which appears to show the beheading of Japanese journalist Kenji Goto, who was held hostage by Islamic State extremists.
- New Boko Haram continues assault on Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- Islamic extremists are again trying to gain control over Maiduguri, firing guns and rockets from four locations on the outskirts of the biggest city in northeast Nigeria.
- Video Black History Month: 6 black Canadian culture-makers
- February is Black History Month in Canada and we're celebrating six of the cultural movers and shakers who enliven the arts scene in this country, and the icons who inspired them.
- Alexis Tsipiros, new Greek PM, tamps down rhetoric on bailout
- A day after Greece appeared on a collision course with its creditors, new radical left Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has tamped down the rhetoric by vowing to pay off debts and not act unilaterally.
- Val Kilmer says he's awaiting tests but doesn't have tumour
- Hollywood star Val Kilmer confirms he's in an L.A. hospital and awaiting medical results, but said he doesn't have a tumour and hasn't had surgery.