Ladino: The Jewish music of Spain sung here
Isareli singer Yasmin Levy's father preserved Ladino folk songs from Spain which she is re-styling for new audiences. Photo/Ali Taskiran
Ladino is the music Jews took with them when they were expelled from Spain in 1492. It's finding new audiences, thanks to artists like Yasmin Levy.
Thanks to Dispatches contributor Maria Bakkalapulo in Glasgow at the Celtic Connections music festival.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Shimon Peres, former prime minister of Israel, dead at 93 video
- Shimon Peres, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate and one of Israel's founding fathers, has died. He was 93.
- Peres saw hope for world shaped by younger generations: Peter Mansbridge video
- CBC News chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge recollects a dinner in Toronto with Shimon Peres, still lively and engaging in his 92nd year.
- Trump, Clinton set U.S. television record for debate audience
- The first presidential debate between Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump drew 84 million U.S. television viewers, a record for such an event and numbers rarely seen on TV in the age of digital streaming and social media.
- Typhoon Megi continues deadly path to China from Taiwan
- A massive typhoon left one person dead in eastern China on Wednesday, a day after killing four and injuring 260 in Taiwan.
- Photos Israeli elder statesman Shimon Peres's life in politics
- The former Israeli president, three-time prime minister and Nobel Peace Prize winner is died at age 93 on Sept. 28, weeks after suffering a major stroke. Here's a look at the 93-year-old elder statesman's life in politics.