Ladino: The Jewish music of Spain sung here
Isareli singer Yasmin Levy's father preserved Ladino folk songs from Spain which she is re-styling for new audiences. Photo/Ali Taskiran
Ladino is the music Jews took with them when they were expelled from Spain in 1492. It's finding new audiences, thanks to artists like Yasmin Levy.
Thanks to Dispatches contributor Maria Bakkalapulo in Glasgow at the Celtic Connections music festival.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC in Lebanon Syrian children in refugee camps struggle with mental scars of war video
- Refugee groups are trying to help Syrian children struggling to deal with horrible memories of violence and death.
- Mali attack: 2 arrests made in deadly Bamako hotel siege
- Malian special forces have arrested two men over last week's attack on a luxury hotel in the capital that killed 19 people, according to a statement distributed Friday morning.
- France, Russia agree to exchange intelligence in Syria campaigns, says Hollande
- France and Russia agreed on Thursday to exchange intelligence on ISIS and other militant groups in Syria to help improve the effectiveness of their aerial bombing campaigns in the country, French President François Hollande said.
- Anastasia Lin, Miss World Canada, denied entry to China for pageant
- Miss World Canada was barred from entering China on Thursday to take part in this year's pageant in the southern island province of Hainan, a friend of the outspoken Chinese-Canadian contestant said.
- Laquan McDonald death: New videos raise questions in Chicago police shooting of black teen
- Newly released police dashboard camera videos from the scene of the shooting of a black teenager by a white Chicago patrolman could raise fresh questions over documentation of the killing, as the city braced for an organized protest march on Friday.