Ladino: The Jewish music of Spain sung here
Isareli singer Yasmin Levy's father preserved Ladino folk songs from Spain which she is re-styling for new audiences. Photo/Ali Taskiran
Ladino is the music Jews took with them when they were expelled from Spain in 1492. It's finding new audiences, thanks to artists like Yasmin Levy.
Thanks to Dispatches contributor Maria Bakkalapulo in Glasgow at the Celtic Connections music festival.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN MANILA 'Sometimes, I blame myself': Marites Flor on surviving hostage-taking that killed boyfriend Robert Hall video
- In 2016, Canadians Robert Hall and John Ridsdel were killed by militants who held them hostage in the Philippines. Hall's girlfriend, Marites Flor, was also taken and spoke to CBC about the harrowing ordeal.
- Live U.S. Senate hearing to focus on Russian disinformation tactics video
- Some tactics Russia used to meddle in last year's presidential election would give shivers to anyone who believes in American democracy, the U.S. Senate intelligence committee's top Democrat said ahead of the committee hearing today in Washington.
- 'Tickled plumb to death': These Trump voters love Obamacare and are glad it's survived
- Among those cheering loudest when the Republican plan to remake the U.S. health-care system collapsed last week were some of Donald Trump's strongest supporters. And they'd vote for Trump again.
- Number of Syrian refugees tops 5 million, says UN
- The number of Syrians who have fled their country after six years of war has surpassed the five-million mark, the United Nations refugee agency said Thursday.
- Australia evacuations due to flooding affect thousands
- Authorities ordered the evacuation of large parts of a major town of more than 25,000 people in eastern Australia on Thursday.