Ladino: The Jewish music of Spain sung here
Isareli singer Yasmin Levy's father preserved Ladino folk songs from Spain which she is re-styling for new audiences. Photo/Ali Taskiran
Ladino is the music Jews took with them when they were expelled from Spain in 1492. It's finding new audiences, thanks to artists like Yasmin Levy.
Thanks to Dispatches contributor Maria Bakkalapulo in Glasgow at the Celtic Connections music festival.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Crimea election chief reports 95% vote to secede video
- The Crimean election chief has released a statement saying that 95 per cent of voters support joining Russia after half of the ballots were counted. Russian news agency, Interfax, said voter turnout had exceeded 80 per cent.
- Updated Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Satellite 'handshake' may point to plane video
- Finding a missing Malaysia Airlines plane may hinge on whether searchers can narrow down where they need to look using satellite data that is inexact and has never been used for that purpose before, search and rescue experts say.
- Serbian election goes to ruling party pushing for spot in EU
- The ruling centre-right party that has vowed to overhaul Serbia's struggling economy and push for membership in the European Union wins a landslide victory in a parliamentary vote, according to unofficial results.
- Marty Walsh, Boston's mayor, skips St. Patrick's Day parade over gay rights video
- Boston's Irish-American mayor will not march in the city's St. Patrick's Day parade on Sunday after failing to hammer out a deal with organizers to allow a group of gay and lesbian activists to march openly.
- Updated North Korea defensively test-fires 25 short-range rockets
- North Korea fired 25 short-range rockets into the sea off its east coast Sunday in an apparent continuation of protests against ongoing U.S.-South Korean military drills, South Korean officials said.