Kampuchea...the mysteries of the Foxy Lady here
Foxy Lady is the story of nine western sailors, one Canadian, on the yacht Foxy Lady -- captured off Cambodia in 1978. All aboard were eventually killed by the Khmer Rouge. The author is long-time Dispatches contributor Dave Kattenburg, who lives in Winnipeg.
He read several passages for Dispatches from the pages of Foxy Lady: Truth, Memory & The Death Of Western Yachtsmen In Democratic Kampuchea
Dave's first visit to the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum.
Looking for signs, at a later visit (click below for more of his account, and link)
Dave writes of his book:
It's an investigative journalist's account of one of the Twentieth Century's most intriguing and hitherto unexplored footnotes: the murder of four Americans, two Aussies, a New Zealander, Englishman and Canadian by Cambodia's Khmer Rouge.
B.C.'s Stuart Glass was the KR's only Canadian victim. Against the backdrop of Stu's adventure travels and untimely death (he was the lucky one ... spared the horrors of S-21 by getting shot on the little yacht), Foxy Lady also recounts the rise and fall of Democratic Kampuchea and its internal security apparatus.
Foxy Lady tells a timely story. Democratic Kampuchea's four surviving chiefs -- Khieu Samphan, Ieng Sary, Ieng Thirith and "Brother Number Two" Nuon Chea -- have just been indicted on a variety of grave charges. Nuon was the one who ordered the last of S-21's "Western" victims to be killed and their bodies incinerated. Foxy Lady is the first book to be published on the horrors of S-21, following the trial and conviction of S-21 Chairman Kaing Guek Eav (Duch). A sea of details here, never before synthesized in book form.
Check out www.foxyladyachtsmen.com.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Evidence Russian missile shot down Flight MH17 unlikely to bring closure to victims' families video
- Evidence released Wednesday showing Malaysian Air Flight MH17 was brought down by a Russian missile answers some questions for the Toronto-area family of a passenger on the flight, but they don’t expect it to bring any resolution.
- Refugee standing in 'shooting stance' killed by California officer video
- The fatal police shooting of a Ugandan refugee who drew something from his pocket and extended his hands in a "shooting stance" happened about a minute after officers in a San Diego suburb arrived at the scene where a mentally unstable man was reportedly walking in traffic.
- New Men on video near NYC bomb scene believed to be Egyptian tourists
- Investigators probing bomb blasts in New Jersey and New York believe they've identified two men who walked off with a bag abandoned by the bomber on a street as Egyptian tourists.
- Pepe the Frog joins swastika and Klan hood in Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database
- A popular internet meme has joined the ranks of the swastika and the burning cross in the Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database. But how did a cartoon frog with humble origins as a lovable indie comic book character become an emblem of white supremacy?
- 15 rescued from landslide caused by Typhoon Megi, but others missings
- Rescuers have pulled 15 people alive from a landslide that slammed into a village in China's eastern Zhejiang province after a typhoon but 32 people are still missing there and in another nearby village, state media said on Thursday.