Kabul...the roadside pension plan here
Disabled men act as unofficial traffic cops at one of Kabul's main traffic circles. Photo/Ariel Nasr.
Reporter Ariel Nasr visits the Kabul traffic circle that's infamous for the "help" disabled war vets give motorists trying to navigate traffic jams. Some call what they charge a pension supplement. Others call it extortion.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Updated Ottawa shooting called 'tragic' by Obama, world leaders video
- The shooting in Ottawa drew international attention and reaction from Canada's closest ally, the United States, and beyond. President Barack Obama offered his support and condolences in a call with Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other world leaders did the same.
- Analysis Ottawa Parliament shooting: We've known this day was coming video
- As Canadians, we've been lucky up to this point, Brian Stewart writes. We've been telling ourselves for some time now we could be the object of a terror attack. Now is the time to show our resilience.
- ISIS forces near Kobani, Syria, hit by fresh U.S. airstrikes video
- The United States conducts further air strikes against ISIS forces in and around Kobani, Syria, as the battle between Kurdish rebels and militants rages.
- Ice age Andes settlement found at record high altitude
- Archeologists have found an ice age settlement so high in the Peruvian Andes that they were surprised ancient humans could survive the low oxygen there.
- Deinocheirus fossils reveal dinosaur behind huge 'T.rex' arms
- In 1965, paleontologists dug up a gargantuan pair of tyrannosaur-like fossil dinosaur arms. Now, finally, they have uncovered the rest of the dinosaur and found it 'more bizarre than we could even possibly have imagined.'