Kabul...the roadside pension plan here
Disabled men act as unofficial traffic cops at one of Kabul's main traffic circles. Photo/Ariel Nasr.
Reporter Ariel Nasr visits the Kabul traffic circle that's infamous for the "help" disabled war vets give motorists trying to navigate traffic jams. Some call what they charge a pension supplement. Others call it extortion.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Golf legend Arnold Palmer has died at the age of 87
- Golf legend Arnold Palmer has died at the age of 87. Nicknamed "The King of Golf", he is regarded as one of the greatest players in history - credited with bringing the sport to a wider audience.
- At least 26 killed in Aleppo as United Nations meets over Syria
- At least 26 civilians were killed in fresh government airstrikes on the contested city of Aleppo, Syrian activists said Sunday, as the United Nations Security Council convened an emergency meeting on the spiralling violence in Syria.
- Officers surround Charlotte, N.C., protesters reacting to fatal police shooting
- A group of around 100 demonstrators have gathered across the street from Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C., to protest the shooting death last week of a black man by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer.
- Shooting in Sweden leaves 4 wounded
- Swedish police say four people have been wounded in a shooting in Malmo, the country's third-largest city. Newspaper Expressen says gunmen on motor scooters opened fire Sunday evening on a car they had been chasing through a neighbourhood in southern Malmo.
- Police said to be target of Budapest blast that injured 2 officers
- Hungary's police were the target of a homemade shrapnel bomb that rocked central Budapest late on Saturday, injuring two officers, the national police chief said Sunday.