San José Calderas, Guatemala and Postville, Iowa
|Jesus Xicay poses with a photograph of his niece Lilian Ordóñez in the village of San José Calderas, Guatemala. Prior to Ordóñez's arrest, Xicay had survived thanks to money she sent back from Postville.(Photo/Jennifer Szymaszek)|
Last season Rick spoke with filmmaker Greg Brosnan about his film In The Shadow Of The Raid. The documentary looks at the devastating consequences of an immigration raid on a Central American village and a small US town. He and his partner have been nominated for a Rory Peck Award.
In the Shadow of the Raid
Shot in Guatemala and the United States, May 2008-February 2009
Part self-funded with support from the Institute for Justice and Journalism Fund
Broadcast by PBS
This film explores the devastating economic consequences of a major US immigration raid on a meat-packing plant in Iowa.
Half the illegal workers arrested during the raid come from just two small, neighbouring villages in Guatemala and the film-makers show how the money they earned in America was the sole income for old and infirm relatives in these poor mountain communities.
We see how one deported worker faced losing his home if he could not repay the seven thousand dollars he'd borrowed to get to Iowa. With its eye-opening findings on this controversial raid, the film has become a part of the American debate on immigration policy.
The judges described the film as dramatic, beautifully shot and very moving. One said: "The film brings humanity to the words 'illegal immigrant'".
Link to the Rory Peck site
Greg Brosnan and Jennifer Szymaszek are a multimedia production team based in Mexico City. They are freelance video producers for outlets including The New York Times, AFPTV and VJ Movement. Greg has worked as a print journalist for Reuters in New York, Guatemala and Mexico, and more recently he has written for publications including Business Week and The Houston Chronicle. Jen is also a freelance stills photographer, working mainly for The New York Times.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated Trump says Russia should find Clinton's missing emails video
- The Republican presidential nominee said that the 30,000 missing emails from Clinton's private email server would reveal "some beauties" and made an extraordinary plea for a foreign power to locate them.
- Why the TPP deal is prompting some Bernie Sanders supporters to be 'ridiculous' video
- Many disgruntled U.S. Democratic Party supporters of Bernie Sanders say their opposition to the TPP deal has emerged as one of the significant reasons they refuse to automatically throw their support behind Hillary Clinton as the party's presidential candidate.
- New ISIS releases video of alleged killers of French priest pledging allegiance video
- Islamic State's news agency on Wednesday posted a video of two men it said were those who attacked a church in France in which they pledged allegiance to the group's leader.
- Ships rush to rescue 46 from sinking boat off Alaska islands
- There were no reports of injuries as the vessels plucked the crew from the Bering Sea on Tuesday evening.
- Live Day 3 of Democratic convention to feature Barack Obama, Joe Biden video
- President Barack Obama plans to tell the Democratic convention tonight that times are not as bleak for America as the Republicans suggested last week, and that Hillary Clinton is eminently qualified to tackle the country's challenges as president.