Washington...Franzen, Freedom and Obama here
CBC's Margo Kelly interviewed author Jonathan Franzen in Toronto, for a piece on The World At Six. Here's part of that interview session, where Franzen reports about meeting with Barack Obama earlier in the week, and Obama's longing for a rational opposition. Franzen's book Freedom was the president's vacation reading this summer.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN COLOMBIA 'I'm filled with joy': Colombians celebrate as dream of peace comes step closer to reality
- Hundreds of people crowd the steps of Museo de Antioquia, Medellín's largest museum. From a distance, they're loud and holding white flags high in the air. But move closer and you see their pure joy. Drums rage. People embrace. A conga line even starts up. They're convinced Colombia's 52-year war is about to end.
- Hotel attack in Somali capital leaves at least 14 dead
- At least 14 people were killed when gunmen stormed a hotel in Somalia's capital and took an unknown number of hotel guests hostage, police and medical workers said Saturday, before security forces hunted down the attackers and ended an hours-long assault.
- Analysis Brexit vote a sign U.K. 'longing for a time and place that never was' video
- The Leave campaign deliberately stirred up anti-immigration anxieties to win the Brexit vote, researchers say. That could spell trouble for other countries considering parting ways with the postwar order in Europe.
- Photos A stunning Brexit, midnight sun baseball and LeBron James: The week in pictures
- From the British exit referendum to the end of Cleveland's championship drought and the longest day of the year, here's the week in pictures for June 18-24.
- West Virginia flooding leaves 23 dead, hundreds homeless
- At least 23 people in West Virginia have died in the worst flooding to hit the state in a century and hundreds more have been rescued from swamped homes.