Washington...Franzen, Freedom and Obama here
CBC's Margo Kelly interviewed author Jonathan Franzen in Toronto, for a piece on The World At Six. Here's part of that interview session, where Franzen reports about meeting with Barack Obama earlier in the week, and Obama's longing for a rational opposition. Franzen's book Freedom was the president's vacation reading this summer.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Gambians, tourists flee country as president clings to power and troops line the borders
- After more than two decades in power, Gambian President Yahya Jammeh faces the prospect of a military intervention by regional forces, as the man who once pledged to rule the West African nation for a billion years clings to power.
- In commuting Chelsea Manning, Obama's last acts of mercy a display of 'absolute' power video
- None of the more than 230 convicted felons to have received pardons or commuted sentences from U.S. President Barack Obama will lose their newfound clemency.
- CBC IN MEXICO Attack on prosecutor investigating nightclub shooting further erodes Cancun's reputation for safety
- A violent attack in Cancun, Mexico, has further undermined the area's reputation as a peaceful idyll amid the turbulence of Mexico's drug war.
- CBC IN IRAN Iranians size up Trump with cautious curiosity
- A short drive from Tehran's imposing "Down with the U.S.A." mural, a small bookstore is doing a brisk business selling books by Donald Trump. As Nahlah Ayed reports, some Iranians eager to learn more about the president-elect are having to start with his get-rich books.
- World temperatures hit new high in 2016 for 3rd year in row
- From unprecedented highs in India to ice melt in the Arctic, the heat is creeping closer to a ceiling set for global warming.