NYC 9/11...What's Going On here?
That song: Linda Perry of CBC's New York bureau remembers 9/11.
I was trying to pull our coverage together from our offices at 46th and Third Ave and from our roof, which had a view of the Twin Towers burning and crumbling.By early afternoon, since no one was really certain of what was happening, I started walking downtown towards Bellevue Hospital with my mini-disc and cell phone. I was going to put some survivors or medical workers on the air with Michael Enright.
As I walked the smell was overpowering from the fires. The streets on the east side were practically abandoned. There was an eerie quiet. Then I started hearing a song, quiet at first, but as I passed the apartment playing the song it got louder. I stopped to see where the music was coming from. It was an open window on the third floor. I listened for half a minute to What's Going On, by Marvin Gaye, then kept walking south.When I arrived at the hospital I found there were no survivors there. People were on line to give blood, which the hospital didn't need. I dialed our on-air Toronto number.
Categories: The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Impeachment trial a step away from 'real coup d'état,' says Brazil's Dilma Rousseff
- Suspended president Dilma Rousseff appears before Brazil's Senate to defend herself against charges of breaking budget laws in an impeachment trial that is expected to remove her from office this week.
- Apple to be hit with massive EU tax bill, sources say
- The European Commission is about to rule against Ireland's tax dealings with Apple Inc., according to sources, one of whom said Dublin would be directed to recoup over a billion euros in back taxes from the iPhone and Macbook maker.
- Legendary comic actor Gene Wilder dead at 83
- Gene Wilder, star of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory and Mel Brooks comedies such as The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, is dead at 83, his family says.
- 49er QB Kaepernick's anthem protest sets off firestorm in U.S.
- From the White House to San Francisco police union headquarters and the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Colin Kaepernick's name came up Monday as his decision to sit down during the national anthem reached far beyond football.
- 3 Canadians charged with smuggling $30M in cocaine on cruise ship in Australia video
- Three Canadian cruise ship passengers are charged with drug smuggling after Sydney police allegedly find 95 kilograms of cocaine in their cabin luggage.