Brcko, Bosnia... the music brings me back here
That Song: Rick's been through some of the world's rough neighbourhoods in his career. And pieces of music bring him back to some of them...
We thought we'd ask if you associate a particular piece of music with some world event you watched or witnessed. Big or small. Doesn't matter. What was playing when you watched the world changing?
Send us your story and the name of your soundtrack, and hear the radio we can make out of it.
Early in the war, CBC producer Dave Anderson and I were driving way in to Bosnia, and well out of our depth.
We were trying to avoid paramilitaries out of Brcko and falling victim to very bad things.
The highway was empty and forbidding. The byways, littered with burnt-out cars and glass from bullet-riddled gas stations.
And Van Morrison always seemed to be on the CD player, singing about enlightenment, though we were way too wired to find any.
But his tune Enlightenment still brings all that back, a comfort, and a taunt.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated Japan knife attack at facility for disabled leaves at least 19 dead
- At least 19 people were killed and about 20 wounded in a knife attack Tuesday at a facility for the handicapped in a city just outside Tokyo in the worst mass killing in generations in Japan.
- Hillary Clinton 'must become the next president,' Bernie Sanders tells Democrats video
- Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton's former rival, took the stage at the Democratic convention Monday night, where he was greeted by massive applause as he thanked the Americans who supported his campaign and voted for the "political revolution" he advocated for in the lengthy primary.
- Michelle Obama gives impassioned endorsement of Hillary Clinton video
- Without mentioning Donald Trump by name, first lady Michelle Obama stood before the Democratic convention on Monday and drew a sharp sketch of the Republican nominee that stood in harsh contrast to her gauzy portrait of Hillary Clinton as a woman who has looked out for children and the disadvantaged all her life.
- CBC IN PHILADELPHIA Sanders voters feel vindicated by leaked emails showing 'rigged' system video
- Democrats arrived in Philadelphia for their convention amid drama that Bernie Sanders supporters say adds fuel to their fire. Leaked emails that were hacked from the DNC prove party officials favoured Hillary Clinton, they say.
- Solar Impulse completes historic round-the-world flight video
- An aircraft powered by solar energy landed in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates early Tuesday, after flying around the world without the use of fossil fuels.