Brcko, Bosnia... the music brings me back here
That Song: Rick's been through some of the world's rough neighbourhoods in his career. And pieces of music bring him back to some of them...
We thought we'd ask if you associate a particular piece of music with some world event you watched or witnessed. Big or small. Doesn't matter. What was playing when you watched the world changing?
Send us your story and the name of your soundtrack, and hear the radio we can make out of it.
Early in the war, CBC producer Dave Anderson and I were driving way in to Bosnia, and well out of our depth.
We were trying to avoid paramilitaries out of Brcko and falling victim to very bad things.
The highway was empty and forbidding. The byways, littered with burnt-out cars and glass from bullet-riddled gas stations.
And Van Morrison always seemed to be on the CD player, singing about enlightenment, though we were way too wired to find any.
But his tune Enlightenment still brings all that back, a comfort, and a taunt.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated U.S. military confirms airstrike on Mosul area 'corresponding' to reports of civilian casualties
- The U.S military confirmed on Saturday that U.S. warplanes had hit an Islamic State-held area of the besieged Iraqi city of Mosul where residents and officials say dozens of civilians have been killed as result of an airstrike.
- EU nations renew fragile pact amid threats from nationalism, Brexit
- Today 27 nations renewed their pledge to the European Union amid concerns over Brexit, nationalism and the threat of terrorism.
- CBC in Manila Jailed Philippine senator says she 'won't be quiet' about President Duterte
- Jailed Philippine Senator Leila de Lima says she's a political prisoner. President Rodrigo Duterte says she's a drug trafficker. CBC's Adrienne Arsenault travelled to Manila for an exclusive jailhouse interview with de Lima.
- Belarus police arrest more than 400 protesters; many are beaten
- A human rights group said more than 400 people were arrested and many were beaten as police in Belarus cracked down hard Saturday on protesters who tried to hold a forbidden demonstration in the capital, Minsk.
- New Self-driving Uber vehicle hit in Arizona crash
- Officials say a self-driving Uber SUV was operating on its own when it was struck by another vehicle making a left turn at an intersection in Arizona, where the company is testing autonomous vehicles.