Brcko, Bosnia... the music brings me back here
That Song: Rick's been through some of the world's rough neighbourhoods in his career. And pieces of music bring him back to some of them...
We thought we'd ask if you associate a particular piece of music with some world event you watched or witnessed. Big or small. Doesn't matter. What was playing when you watched the world changing?
Send us your story and the name of your soundtrack, and hear the radio we can make out of it.
Early in the war, CBC producer Dave Anderson and I were driving way in to Bosnia, and well out of our depth.
We were trying to avoid paramilitaries out of Brcko and falling victim to very bad things.
The highway was empty and forbidding. The byways, littered with burnt-out cars and glass from bullet-riddled gas stations.
And Van Morrison always seemed to be on the CD player, singing about enlightenment, though we were way too wired to find any.
But his tune Enlightenment still brings all that back, a comfort, and a taunt.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- At least 13 killed, dozens injured in California tour bus crash video
- A tour bus crashed into the back of a semi-truck on a southern California highway before dawn on Sunday, killing 13 people and injuring 31, an NBC affiliate reported.
- 83 Nigerian soldiers missing after Boko Haram attack
- Senior military officers say 83 soldiers are missing after Boko Haram Islamic extremists attacked a remote base in northeastern Nigeria. Widows of civilians who joined the fight against Boko Haram were given food aid last week, after months of neglect.
- AT&T's $85B US bid for Time Warner sparks antitrust fears in Washington
- AT&T Inc's agreement to acquire Time Warner Inc for $85 billion US drew skepticism from both Democrats and Republicans on Sunday, making it more likely that regulators will scrutinize the effort to create a new telecommunications and media giant.
- Iraqi, Kurdish forces join to drive ISIS from Mosul
- Iraqi and Kurdish forces launched a new offensive Sunday on a town near Mosul as part of a massive operation aimed at retaking the country's second largest city from the Islamic State group.
- Dueling droughts: Cubs, Indians set to meet in World Series
- At long, long last, it's true: Either the Chicago Cubs or Cleveland Indians will win the World Series. The matchup between teams that forever waited till next year — next century, really — is finally here.