Brcko, Bosnia... the music brings me back here
That Song: Rick's been through some of the world's rough neighbourhoods in his career. And pieces of music bring him back to some of them...
We thought we'd ask if you associate a particular piece of music with some world event you watched or witnessed. Big or small. Doesn't matter. What was playing when you watched the world changing?
Send us your story and the name of your soundtrack, and hear the radio we can make out of it.
Early in the war, CBC producer Dave Anderson and I were driving way in to Bosnia, and well out of our depth.
We were trying to avoid paramilitaries out of Brcko and falling victim to very bad things.
The highway was empty and forbidding. The byways, littered with burnt-out cars and glass from bullet-riddled gas stations.
And Van Morrison always seemed to be on the CD player, singing about enlightenment, though we were way too wired to find any.
But his tune Enlightenment still brings all that back, a comfort, and a taunt.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Evidence Russian missile shot down Flight MH17 unlikely to bring closure to victims' families video
- Evidence released Wednesday showing Malaysian Air Flight MH17 was brought down by a Russian missile answers some questions for the Toronto-area family of a passenger on the flight, but they don’t expect it to bring any resolution.
- Refugee standing in 'shooting stance' killed by California officer video
- The fatal police shooting of a Ugandan refugee who drew something from his pocket and extended his hands in a "shooting stance" happened about a minute after officers in a San Diego suburb arrived at the scene where a mentally unstable man was reportedly walking in traffic.
- 15 rescued from landslide caused by Typhoon Megi, but others missings
- Rescuers have pulled 15 people alive from a landslide that slammed into a village in China's eastern Zhejiang province after a typhoon but 32 people are still missing there and in another nearby village, state media said on Thursday.
- Pepe the Frog joins swastika and Klan hood in Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database
- A popular internet meme has joined the ranks of the swastika and the burning cross in the Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database. But how did a cartoon frog with humble origins as a lovable indie comic book character become an emblem of white supremacy?
- Families of 9/11 victims can sue Saudi Arabia after Obama's veto overturned
- In a resounding rebuke, Democrats joined with Republicans Wednesday to hand Barack Obama the first veto override of his presidency, voting overwhelmingly to allow families of Sept. 11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia in U.S. courts for its alleged backing of the attackers.