Brcko, Bosnia... the music brings me back here
That Song: Rick's been through some of the world's rough neighbourhoods in his career. And pieces of music bring him back to some of them...
We thought we'd ask if you associate a particular piece of music with some world event you watched or witnessed. Big or small. Doesn't matter. What was playing when you watched the world changing?
Send us your story and the name of your soundtrack, and hear the radio we can make out of it.
Early in the war, CBC producer Dave Anderson and I were driving way in to Bosnia, and well out of our depth.
We were trying to avoid paramilitaries out of Brcko and falling victim to very bad things.
The highway was empty and forbidding. The byways, littered with burnt-out cars and glass from bullet-riddled gas stations.
And Van Morrison always seemed to be on the CD player, singing about enlightenment, though we were way too wired to find any.
But his tune Enlightenment still brings all that back, a comfort, and a taunt.
Categories: The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN ISTANBUL 'He always said he was going to kill her': Turkish laws protecting women are often ignored
- There is no shortage of laws protecting women in Turkey, activists say. But amid horrifying violence against women, the problem is getting lawyers and judges to apply them.
- Updated Manager deflects blame after fire turns Oakland artists' colony into 'mass grave'
- Firefighters say they have cleared 85 per cent of the Oakland, Calif., warehouse where a fire broke out Friday night and killed dozens of people during an underground dance party.
- Merkel calls for veil ban, looks to quell migrant concerns
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel advocated banning the full-face veils worn by some Muslim women in a speech to her party's congress, stressing her determination to prevent a repeat of last year's huge migrant influx.
- Analysis Trump's Taiwan call could disrupt 'very calibrated dance' between U.S., China
- U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's official call with the leader of Taiwan breaks diplomatic protocol, a move that could lead to an economic and military standoff, Asia analysts warn.
- Adele, Beyoncé, Bieber and Drake to vie for Grammy Awards
- Adele and Beyoncé, as well as Canadians Justin Bieber and Drake are among the nominees for the 59th annual Grammy Awards.